AceZinneX

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
It slipped my mind due to my busy schedule that I forgot to fill in FAFSA. I know I can still do the federal aid, but I missed out on the major part for my aid - CalGrant.

The purpose of that anecdote is that, in summary, I am in financial trouble for 2010-2011 school year. I'll be an undergraduate junior at UCSD and need a job to pay for schooling (my parents can't afford to pay for me fully). To make up for my clumsiness, I decide to get a job, as well as experience. This probably isn't the right place to ask, as a lot of you got into vet school, but for those with spare time, could someone help me out? I just want to know positions or websites that can help me find an internship. I know paid internship for someone with no experience is unheard of, but at least it will be for experience. I'll just get a second job if needed. I'm already planning to call Banfield later today to ask.

Dec 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
From what Ive experienced, there are some vets out there that will take on someone with no/little experience and train them to be vet-techs. I dont know how easy it would be to find one, but thats always a possibility. Yay for on the job training!!!

Nephromaniac

UTK c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2009
Kent, Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
I agree that your best bet would be to try & find a local vet to try & get a job at... I would say the majority of people that started working at my old clinic had low to no prior experience outside personal pets before they started & within the past 3 years, 7 of us have now started vet school (of course that doesn't apply to all places, but definitely worth a shot). Alternatively like you already mentioned, getting a $$ job to get you by & trying to find a place to shadow. Don't forget that shadowing / volunteering has the potential to turn into a job! If you can show that you're dedicated, work hard, & make an effort to learn things, that can go along way. I'd rather hire someone who is genuinely willing to learn & do a good job than someone with a ton of experience but a poor attitude. And don't forget about local shelters, they always need help! Much less likely to get a paying position, but it's a potential source of experience if it comes down to that, & they are generally pretty flexible (so should be relatively easy to fit it in among a paying job & school if needed).

You could also try talking with a counselor from the school... sometimes they have good resources or connections & can point you in the right direction. There's often lab positions & the such at schools that could expose you to animal or biological research.

Sorry I can't help more as far as an internship type program goes, as I have little experience there... but I'd say just look, look, look. You can even resort to checkin' through to phonebook to find local places to contact. And remember, you never know who could be a potential connection! Talk to fellow classmates in your bio classes, professors who seem to have an interest in the animal sciences, etc.

Good luck! And keep us posted!