Need Gap Year Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi body

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help planning a potential gap year. I applied MD this cycle, but with relatively low stats, so I would like to start preparing for a gap year just in case.

3.42/3.39 (I estimate this will be around 3.6/3.5 by the time I graduate because I am taking a heavy science course load this year)

508 MCAT (bad CARS score)

Substantial research experience-- 3 years; co-author on international poster presentation; doing another poster presentation soon

Hospital Volunteer 2 years

C0-founded a club on campus

Adequate Shadowing

Volunteer for an organization that sets up flu clinics in public schools

First generation

Tradtional ORM

FL resident

I am considering an SMP, since I wouldn't have to retake the MCAT. Or I could just volunteer or work, and retake the MCAT. I think either my grades or my MCAT need to improve before another MD application cycle. I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying DO as well, or are you just going to wait and apply MD again if you don't get in? Those aren't terrible stats for DO.

Are you applying DO as well, or are you just going to wait and apply MD again if you don't get in? Those aren't terrible stats for DO.
I applied MD only this cycle. I am pretty set on MD, but I will probably apply to both MD and DO next year to avoid any chances of having to apply a 3rd time.