need guidance...

Started by pali Kaur
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pali Kaur

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everybody,

I recently decided to go for pharmacy(finally) and I am planning to give PCAT in this coming october.
Can anyone please suggest how to study for it in order to get 90 %tile score.I have a degree in Biotechnology but its been 4 years. I have taken anatomy and physiology. Do you will it affect my PCAT prep.

I work part-time and I have 2 children. Do you guys think if its possible to prepare well for PCAT (with job and 2 children)?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
 
I agree with Kid it's all about time management.

When I started to study I found people who were studying for PCAT, MCAT, and DAT and stuck to the schedule for a little over a month studying from 8 to 5 everyday with snack and lunch breaks. Other main things to consider is to take a course or get a self study guide, find a place that's quiet to study, and take self diagnostic test to see where you need to improve on. Then ever once a week or so take a practice test in PCAT conditions. GOOD LUCK.
 
I think you can absolutely do it. Having taken anatomy and physiology (even if it isn't fresh) really does help. Just make sure that when you're studying, you aren't distracted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
I'm actually in the same shoes............I'm also a mother of 2 year old twins and a full time student and at the same time preparing for the October PCAT. I'm actually preparing from kaplan study guide its pretty good and planning to buy Dr. collins material as well.


Hi Everybody,

I recently decided to go for pharmacy(finally) and I am planning to give PCAT in this coming october.
Can anyone please suggest how to study for it in order to get 90 %tile score.I have a degree in Biotechnology but its been 4 years. I have taken anatomy and physiology. Do you will it affect my PCAT prep.

I work part-time and I have 2 children. Do you guys think if its possible to prepare well for PCAT (with job and 2 children)?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
 
Hi Everybody,

I recently decided to go for pharmacy(finally) and I am planning to give PCAT in this coming october.
Can anyone please suggest how to study for it in order to get 90 %tile score.I have a degree in Biotechnology but its been 4 years. I have taken anatomy and physiology. Do you will it affect my PCAT prep.

I work part-time and I have 2 children. Do you guys think if its possible to prepare well for PCAT (with job and 2 children)?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.


Are you a single parent? If not, then preparing for it will only be a matter of making a plan and taking the time to study, and you should be able to still have plenty of time for the rest of your life as well.

If you are a single parent, you absolutely need to set a study schedule and stick to it, carving out time early in the morning or late at night, or if you can get a babysitter, you can go to the library or a bookstore or somewhere you can study.

Definitely get the prep materials - Collins seems to be the gold standard, and Kaplan is fairly solid, as long as you read through here and learn where Kaplan is weak, and make up for it with additional preparation.

The hardest parts for me were quant and the general chem, because it has been 16 yrs since I took Calculus and general chemistry. If you feel rusty in your General Chem, start studying for it early, because it is a lot of different things to study.

I have four kids under 12, am a part-time student, don't work (but see where I have four kids under 12), and my husband is in the military and is at work 12 hours a day plus is away a lot (was gone almost a month right before I took the June PCAT), and I could not have the study schedule some of the traditional college students here had, but I managed to squeeze some in. It is workable.

You have plenty of time to work on it. I would start now and do some review each day. Others have posted their study schedules/plans in other threads on this forum. I don't have my June scores so I can't tell you if what I did was adequate or not.
 
Thank you everybody for your suggestions and support.

Its good to know that some of you are in the same boat as me.

I have started studying for the PCAT and also, planning to take the class course at the Kaplan.
I am good at chem, bio and math. The hardest thing for me will be verbal (english language) part as I am an immigrant and doesn't have good vocabulary. Does anybody have any suggestions!

Thanks
 
can anyone please suggest how can we divide the whole study material for each subject...
what areas of the chemistry or biology to be concentrated on??

thanks