Need Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LION77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to finish my undergraduate degree in Biological sciences from a UC in 2011 and expecting a com gpa 3.59 and sc gpa3.55. Planning to take MCAT in summer of 2011. My AMCAS gpa
Freshman cum 3.18, sc 2.95, ao 3.7
Sophmore cum 3.39, sc 3.33, ao 3.5
Junior cum 3.82, sc 3.75, ao 3.93
Senior cum 3.89, sc 3.89, ao 0.00 (all Bio classes only)
undergrad gpa cum 3.59, sc 3.55, ao 3.71
have a C+ in Bio 93 (Organisms to Echo sys)
B- in Gen Chem 1B
B- in Gen Chem Lab 1LB
C in Gen Chem Lab 1LC
all these in Freshman year
and a C in Physics Lab 2LB in my Junior year
I have a B's in O Chem and a B+ in Genetics and a B+in Physics 3A. Besides these bad grades I have all A's in Biochem, Molecular Bio, Neurobio, Physics 3B and 3C........and I am hoping to get A's in the rest of UD Bio classses and labs.
My EC's: Involved in a clinical research at my uni med center...Bio 199 undergrad research for the past 3 quarters and will be taking it for 3 quarters in my senior year., Volunteering at a local hospital 4 hours a week for the past 7 months and continuing. Volunteered at a nursing home 4 hrs/week for 2 years. Shadowed an Internal Medicine doctor, pediatrician and a neurologist during winter and summer breaks....approx 2 weeks with each physician.
Since I am taking MCAT in late Summer of 2011....I will apply for 2013 cycle.
Please advise if I should do research in gap years or do research and a SMP. Also, should I retake Bio 93, Gen Chem and Gen Chem lab and Physics lab?.....:confused:

Sorry, my post got too long. I wanted to give as much detail as possible to get the proper guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would check out the stats of some of the med schools you are interested in....I don't know how competitive the California med schools are. good luck!

Do NOT retake Gen Chem/Gen Chem Lab. You've already got a B- in both and AMCAS averages retake grades with original grades, so to even make a dent you'd have to get an A, and its not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT retake Gen Chem/Gen Chem Lab. You've already got a B- in both and AMCAS averages retake grades with original grades, so to even make a dent you'd have to get an A, and its not worth it.

and some poor sucker retook a B+ and is about to get...well...a B+. If it doesn't improve, your Transcript will look interesting.

And, really, a B-?! It'll be ok, move on.

How about the 3C's on my transcripts? Should I repeat those? My university does not allow repeats if I receive a C or higher grade. If I take these classes at a CC, will it look bad? Is 3C's a lot and can cause an automatic rejection? Will my upward trend of GPA compensate for these C's?

How about the 3C's on my transcripts? Should I repeat those? My university does not allow repeats if I receive a C or higher grade. If I take these classes at a CC, will it look bad? Is 3C's a lot and can cause an automatic rejection? Will my upward trend of GPA compensate for these C's?

They look at upward trend.

That should help you a lot.

I wouldn't bother re-taking anything for the sake of AMCAS, they're going to see the C. They're also going to see you've matured as a student and a person through your later grades.

Will finish BS in Biological sciences from a UC in June 2011 with approx 3.59 cum gpa and 3.55 bcpm gpa with upward trend. Will take MCAT in Aug-sept of 2011 (too late for 2012 cycle.....will apply for 2013 cycle).

My ECs: 6 quarters (2-3 units each quarter) of undergraduate clinical research at my nuniversity medical center, Volunteer work at a local hospital for 4 hrs/week for 7 months already and continuing, volunteer work at a nursing home for 4 hrs/ week for 2 years, shadowed an internist, pediatrician and a neurologist for 2 weeks each during my winter and summer breaks. Have LORs from Physics, Philosophy and an UD Bio professors.

Do I need to go for an SMP to improve my GPA ?
Should I do research for a year and SMP for a year as I will have a gap of 2 years? or should I do research for 2 years and try to publish?

Will finish BS in Biological sciences from a UC in June 2011 with approx 3.59 cum gpa and 3.55 bcpm gpa with upward trend. Will take MCAT in Aug-sept of 2011 (too late for 2012 cycle.....will apply for 2013 cycle).

My ECs: 6 quarters (2-3 units each quarter) of undergraduate clinical research at my nuniversity medical center, Volunteer work at a local hospital for 4 hrs/week for 7 months already and continuing, volunteer work at a nursing home for 4 hrs/ week for 2 years, shadowed an internist, pediatrician and a neurologist for 2 weeks each during my winter and summer breaks. Have LORs from Physics, Philosophy and an UD Bio professors.

Do I need to go for an SMP to improve my GPA ?
Should I do research for a year and SMP for a year as I will have a gap of 2 years? or should I do research for 2 years and try to publish?

lol isn't there another thread already?

I'd at least go ahead and apply.
GPA isn't GREAT, but it's pretty good.
A solid MCAT, maybe 32, 33 range, and you could be sitting pretty.

Wouldn't hurt to take 1 or 2 more classes to bump it to a 3.6 and then apply directly.

Sorry JJMrK,.........I will be more careful in future.

Thanks TriagePreMed for the great advice, I will do that.