1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help about Caribean schools

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by psrai85, Dec 5, 2005.

1. psrai85

psrai85 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just wanted some help in regards to where i stand

I'm applying in Sept 2007 to get in for Sept 2008.

What are my chances with the following (i'm working hard to get these when i apply)

1) 38 or higher on MCAT
    2) 3.0 GPA
    3) Tons of extracircular
    4) Summer research and also during the study year
    5) Volunteering in Africa for 2 months

I was just wondering what are my chance of getting into Caribean schools with the above stuff. I'm fron Ontario, Canada

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. erichaj

erichaj Membership Revoked
    Removed

Why are you applying to an offshore school?

4. psrai85

psrai85 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looking at the GPA's of ppl around this forum and other stuff. I'm not sure if i can get into Canada or US. I'd love to be able to go to US. But, not sure though...infact very nervous.

5. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    38 is 99.999999999 percentile. If you can do that well on the MCAT your GPA should be above 3.0.

6. psrai85

psrai85 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    But my GPA is not above 3, i had some unavoidable problems in first two years of my school and later worked hard.

7. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So what is your BCPM? (Science GPA)

You are already a shoe in for SGU or one of the other big three. If you have turned your life around you should also consider one of the masters degree programs in the U.S. that will vault you into a U.S. school.

8. mollywobbles

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if you are applying for 2008, then i think you have enough time to apply to US schools.

i think Canada has strict gpa requirements, but the US does not. so apply to US schools. you don't need a lot of time or effort to apply to caribbean schools.

i can't stress this enough, do not go Caribbean if you haven't at least made a solid attempt at getting into a US school. SGU will in fact ask you this at their interview. they encourage their students to at least try for a US school first.

best of luck what ever you decide.

9. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No worries about any of the Carib schools.

You will not get into a Canadian school unless McMaster sees something you.

US school like Canadian money, so see which ones take Canadians regularly.

10. ezal36

ezal36 Member
    5+ Year Member

You should have no problem getting into a do school.

11. erichaj

Removed

you GPA is not all that matters.

You have a very high MCAT.

If you don't get into a M.D. program you can do a D.O. program.

try to get into the US first. Apply to a bunch of schools. You should be able to get in.

If you don't then go to sgu or ross. They have three start dates. So, you can apply to get in and interview at the same time you are trying to get into the US schools. This way if you don't get into the US school you can just go to sgu or ross.

12. psrai85

psrai85 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It might sound stupid, but i'm totally illiterate about the DO programme's. Need help????

13. McGillGrad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

The proper response would have been to say that you are ignorant of DO programs. Illiterate means that you cannot read/write and I am pretty sure you can read.

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathy

14. erichaj

Removed

Now that you have been schooled on your grammer, lol, you need to know that in the US an M.D. or D.O. allows you to practice medicine. However, if you ever wanted to practice outside the USA then you may get into trouble. Many European countries to do not recognize D.O. as a valid degree to practice medicine.

I still think you can get into an M.D. program in the USA. Apply for all of them at the same time and take the best option.

Good luck.

15. Mom2five

Mom2five Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not sure everyone is reading correctly...Did he say he hopes to get a 38 or higher on the MCAT???? Did you actually get that score? Looking at app. dates (applying '07 for entrance in '08) I'm thinking that maybe you haven't even taken the MCAT. If that is true then no one can offer you advice because you have no stats. Confused am I.

16. Azhure

Azhure New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi! I too am from Ontario, and was considering caribbean schools, in case nothing works out here. I've applied this year to most Ontario med schools, but am pretty sure I don't have the extra-curriculars. I got a 3.9+ OMSAS GPA in the first two years of university (Which i suspect is dropping this year, ie. 3rd year!). And wrote the MCAT and got 37R. BUT all i have for ec's is hospital volunteering, literacy tutor, and some other small things. Regarding US med schools, is there a chance they might overlook my lack of EC's (which i'll try to improve, but tough for me with school). I have trouble getting references, with the huge classes at U of T even if the prof. recognizes me i feel strange asking for a ref letter. I suppose only working the prof's lab would get you a proper ref?? I'm worried about the 2 science one non-science ref's needed for US schools. Anyway, I'd really appreciate your input regarding my chances...thanks!! :)

17. richmond_repn

richmond_repn Member
    5+ Year Member

WOW with those stats you will get into any school you want in Canada. Your EC's look good enough, dont ever consider the caribbean (no disrespect to Caribbean) but you have the highest stats I have ever seen

18. McGillGrad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You sound like a book-worm.

I would recommend living a little bit before applying. Otherwise you will end up being very unhappy.

Your stats are fine but I worry about your psyche.

19. Trader56

Trader56 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Azhure,

I can't say what your chances might be at U.S. schools, but perhaps a story about me and a friend of mine might be insightful.

My friend, a white woman in her late 20's had been out of school for 6 years or so working as a CPA. She decided she wanted to go to med school so returned to our state university to complete her med school science prerequisits. She ended up with a GPA virtually identical to yours, and got a 34R on her MCAT.

She was VERY concerned about her lack of any EC's, so she volunteered for a few months reading stories to kids in the hospital one day per week while she was applying to schools. She ended up being accepted to every program she applied to, whitled the list down to Yale, our state school, and Mayo. She chose Mayo as it was only $5000 per year tuition. She's a first year resident now.

I had a GPA similar to yours, teaching exprience at our state university at the undergrad and grad level, and co-authored two papers we published in anatomy and surgical procedure. BUT, I took the MCAT before completing my undergrad sciences and only got a 26. I got interviews, but was told the 26 MCAT wassn't going to cut it. So...after finishing the science prerequisites, I retook the MCAT, scored much higher, and was accepted.

Based upon my experiences, and those of others I've known personally, I think your GPA and MCAT (which are both outstanding!) will have a LOT more impact on yuor chances than EC's. Everyone worries about EC's or thinks that they will help shore up an otherwise weak application. From what I've seen, Ec's are a lot less important than people think, and will not in any way make up for a low GPA or low MCAT. Schools are interested in the numbers. They interpret this as an indication of whether or not you can make it through the program, and perform well on innumerable standardized tests.

Just my experience...

20. berkeleyboy

berkeleyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    oh this is so true. Its all about numbers friends. GPA and mcat are basically 80% of the equation. The rest is just icing on the cake!
    Its been like this for years:

gpa + sats = college
    gpa + mcat = med school
    gpa + usmle scores = residency

the formula really never changes.

21. Azhure

Azhure New Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the story, it was inspiring.

Hmm...re-reading that post i do sound like a bookworm. I don't think having less things to add to a list of ec's means you're not socially competent or well rounded enough to be a good doctor. Too bad the admissions people don't always think like that.