Need Help/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted840740

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
please give it more than a week, you have literally seen nothing, not even different parts of the same specialty

Reactions: 1 user
hi all,

I recently finished my prelim year and started my advanced residency position this week. I had doubts about the advanced specialty since med school and toggled between it and another less competitive field all the way up to the night before the list was due (deciding between the two was tough for many reasons). Anyways, ever since match day I still had doubts about the field which worsened throughout all of my prelim year. I thought about switching many times during prelim year, but ultimately didnt because I told myself I have to give it a real shot (plus I was so busy it was nearly impossible to have the time to switch).

I know it is only the first week but I am miserable and feel that I did in fact make a terrible choice. I wasn't interested at all during teachings this week while the other residents in my group seem so happy and motivated. I am having a tough time right now because I am being so hard on myself for not fighting harder to make the change last year (or during rank list). PANIC has set in thinking of having to spend a whole year in this field I dont want to be in.

has anyone gone through something similar? also, am I definitely stuck with this for the year assuming I'd switch to a dif field next summer? I'm afraid to say something to the PD bc it is so early on, but I understand if I intend to switch I need to inform them soon.

TIA
It's a week. Put your nose to the grindstone and reassess in 2-3 months.

Reactions: 2 users
What field...

Give it 2-3 mos, then by early Sept, talk to your PD and apply to the other field. Often they can even work out meetings and contact PDs in-house if that's an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
You can start a PGY-2 without a clinic, and you usually don't need to "make anything up", although they might have you do some additional clinic time early so that you get more comfortable.

I know this sounds crazy bc it is so early on in the year, but I knew this field wasnt for me before I started- I just was too late to try to get out. I am trying to see if I can switch back to IM to save this year from being burnt. is it possible to start IM as a 2nd year with completing a prelim year, or does my lack of clinic time during prelim year prevent that? in other words, is there a way to make up that lost clinic time from prelim year?

thank you all for the advice
If you completed an IM prelim year, you should be able to roll over and continue in IM without much difficulty, assuming you can get someone to give you a spot. The lack of continuity clinic as an intern isn't a big deal since the program requirements only say you have an average of 1/2 day/wk over 36 months. That's easy enough to make up over the course of 24-30 months.

As to how to proceed, your best approach is to talk to your prelim PD and the IM PD at your current program (if they are the same person, so much the better) and tell them you want to go back to IM and see if they have a spot. After that, you'll need to either cold call programs or go through the match again next year.

Expect to start as an intern again for a few months (even up to a full year, especially if it's not your prelim program).

I think you should approach your advanced program PD now and tell him that you can't continue the specialty and intend to resign. He can make your life hell or he can help you out. No idea which way that will go, but it really doesn't matter at this point.

You can quit whenever you want, but your contract probably has a 30 day out clause for you (and the program) and the NRMP has a 45 day requirement, after which you can quit a program without risking an NRMP violation. Practically speaking at this point, if you walk in to your PD's office today and tell him you're quitting, the 30/45 day windows are the same and you're golden.

The last thing I'd say is that I wouldn't expect to be able to find a job for the next year with just a prelim year behind you, especially without any clinic experience. Just throwing that out there.

I spoke to a PD at another program and he said it would be a violation to talk to me until I have the ok from my current program. This is such a mess. my prelim year was at a separate very small institution and wouldnt be of much help (and dont want to go back there).

I am debating on approaching my (current) advanced program PD now because that might be my only option at this point. I feel as though it could go 50/50 so I am nervous if he gets upset. If worse came to worse and he was mad and didn’t want to help me out, he couldn’t “fire” me, right? I guess I would just stay and somehow finish the year out and reapply like everyone else does who switches.

Could you explain the contract info more? Sorry, this is the info I need but have not heard of it before. Does this mean as long as I let them know w/in 30 days it is ok?
Your PD has the same 30 day (assuming that's what your contract says...you should read it yourself) "out" to get rid of you as you do to leave. Doesn't mean he can't make those 30 days hell for you, but there you go. Honestly though, no PD wants a resident who is miserable and will have a toxic effect on the rest of the program.

It's up to you at this point man. Good luck.

Your contract is specific to your institution. You should have signed an employment contract, and it should specify what the "rules" are. It might require that you give 30, 60, or 90 days notice. Or might not set any limit at all. It will usually not allow your program to drop you for no reason. So, you need to look at your contract and see what it says.

It's not any "violation" for a PD to talk to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Please see the following new Department of Health and Human Services regulations. With these regulations, for the first time in the USA, medical residencies are accepted as " federally funded education programs", and federally protected by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.