NEED HELP ASAP Georgetown (Half tuition scholarship) vs WMed (Full Ride Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1108356

Hi everyone! I'm in a somewhat sticky situation. For the past two weeks I was pretty set on attending Georgetown because they matched my aid and gave me $43k. I paid my deposit, started talking to other incoming M1s and even looking for housing. One hour ago, WMed sent me an email and gave me a full ride tuition. The dean of admissions told me I have until May 5th to decide and my seat will be saved until about then. I really don't know what to decide and I am extremely torn. Im undecided to what specialty I want to do, but at the moment I'm interested in anesthesiology, ENT, OB/GYN and internal med, but I'm not closed off to surgery or other competitive specialties. Here's my pros and cons list.

Georgetown (CoA $60k per year with scholarship)

Pros

- LOVE the area first of all. It seems safe and I like the metropolitan vibe.
- Really good shot at matching back to California, which is where I'm from
- 1.5 preclinical years, can start rotations sooner
- Opportunities for health advocacy, social justice work
- More established than WMed
- True P/F, no internal ranking

Cons
- The cost of living in DC is so expensive in general
- Heard it was somewhat competitive
- Larger class size of 180ish

WMed (CoA $26k per year with scholarship)

Pros

- Really really solid match list for a newer school
- Admin are extremely supportive and caring
- Smaller class size, about 80-90 students
- Decompressed curriculum so you get a week long break after each block in lieu of a summer break

Cons
- Michigan is a lot colder than DC
- The area is not as safe as Georgetown
- Newer school so less opportunities when it comes to research and clubs
- P/F curriculum with internal ranking

PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH ANY INSIGHT, I need to decide by May 5th!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say 130k extra for Georgetown is approaching the limit where it’s still worth it. My vote is for GT.

Reactions: 1 user
After 4 years of med school, your loans will roughly end up at 120k (WMed) vs 275k (GT) so roughly $155,000 cost difference.

Voluntarily sinking yourself an additional $150k+ for GT is not the wisest decision in my eyes but it's up to you to decide whether that's worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the amount of money justifies WMed

I’d take a look at the thread on Georgetown vs. Miami. Seems like you both are in similar positions. At the end of the day, I’m not sure if 155k loans + interest is justifiable. This four years might put you in debt for the rest of your life, which is definitely worth considering. Either way you are going to be a doctor. Congratulations on both of your acceptances!

The rent estimate by Georgetown is probably not updated to the current market. They seem to be estimating 14,000 for rent and utilities. You will likely be paying more.

It seems like you prefer Georgetown. It’s up to you to decide where you will be the happiest. Ask yourself if down the line the difference in cost is something you’ll come to regret or if you’ll regret not going to GT more.

Sorry to butt in, but is Georgetown really a “true P/F”? I thought they do internal rankings too, for AOA?