Need help choosing academic programs as DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imatarheel

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Basically title. I'm a recent orthopaedic surgery switcher after realizing Im not passionate about the OR or surgery in general. That being said, I have a good step2 (256) and Level2 is pending, with 3 publications and 5+ research experiences/poster presentations (all with orthopaedics).

I realized I love psychiatry and is the only field in which I see myself thriving and being happy in. Would love to get into an academic program anywhere in the northeast/midwest area. Just wondering which ones I should be targeting without a significant psych background.

Thank you!
 
Just look for programs that have DOs in their classes and write a personal statement clearly explaining why you switched. Psych is competitive enough these days people aren't worried about us being used as a backup and it is very common for students to not realize they like psychiatry until they actually get to the clerkship.