Need help choosing between MSW programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomgrl333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the MSW program at UC Berkeley, Boston University and Simmons College. I'm going for a clinical focus.

My top choices are Boston University and UC Berkeley. For some reason, Simmons just didn't impress me, even though they have one of the top clinical programs in the country.

Boston University's program seems to fit me really well. I've met with a professor and talked to a couple students. They've offered a $12,000 merit-based scholarship, making it the same price as in-state tuition at Berkeley.

UC Berkeley has a great reputation, and is in my hometown (with better weather). The info session didn't particularly impress me, in terms of the clinical strengths, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Any opinions about either program or what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

My instinct is to go with BU. You seem to like the program, and based on the scholarship, cost is no longer a deciding factor. Honestly? Go where it feels right for you- you're going into an intense program, don't go somewhere you don't think you'll be happy.

I'm assuming you've visited- if you haven't (and you have the ability to), GO!