Need help choosing electives for internship year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colchicine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into anesthesia for 2006. I'll be starting my internship this June in NYC. I have 2 electives that I could do at any hospital in any field.
Can anyone help me in choosing hospitals in NYC where I could get the best experience as an intern ? I'm not familiar with NYC but someone told me the Belluvue hospital would be good ?
Also I was debating between anesthesia, cardiology, MICU/SICU or even just pulmonary medicine. I could only choose 2 out of these. Which two electives out of these or any other do you think would prepare me the best for my CA1 year ???
Please, also help in choosing one or two hospitals in NYC to do these electives at ?

Any input would be appreciated...Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

colchicine said:
I matched into anesthesia for 2006. I'll be starting my internship this June in NYC. I have 2 electives that I could do at any hospital in any field.
Can anyone help me in choosing hospitals in NYC where I could get the best experience as an intern ? I'm not familiar with NYC but someone told me the Belluvue hospital would be good ?
Also I was debating between anesthesia, cardiology, MICU/SICU or even just pulmonary medicine. I could only choose 2 out of these. Which two electives out of these or any other do you think would prepare me the best for my CA1 year ???
Please, also help in choosing one or two hospitals in NYC to do these electives at ?

Any input would be appreciated...Thank you

How hard is the rest of your year?

If you have some down time with the rest of your schedule then MICU/SICU would be a good rotation. I got a lot out of my pulm month as far as ventilator management and preoperative/postoperative pathophys.

Then again, if your getting your crushed it would be nice to take some non-call/less intense months such as rads. Its your sanity and well being after all.