Need help choosing programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, all of you path gods and goddesses, I need a little help deciding which programs I should apply to for residency.

What I want/Career plans: AP/CP residency in a medium to large size city preferably out West (dream location) or Little Rock or Dallas (close to family). Not terribly interested in academics. Might be interested in a fellowship but don't know in what yet. Would like to practice at a community hospital in the future.

CV: 82 (201) on Step 1, 3rd quartile at small midwestern med school, no PSF, no research, 1 mo each of Hospital Path and Trauma/Autopsy path planned for early 4th yr, avg clinical grades, internship at CNN in Atlanta between M1 and M2 years for the medical news dept, no other honors or awards.

Personal considerations: Married to mechanical engineer who is currently a Capt in Air Force but will most likely be separating around time of med school graduation June 05- will need engineering job or could become government civilian at an AF Base.

Ok y'all, I know this is a challenge, but I appreciate any suggestions regarding programs that might be a fit for me or programs that are out of my league. I've been looking at programs online, but it's hard to tell how competitive they are and what kind of people they want just from their promo pages.

Thanks so much and luck to all...

Members don't see this ad.

if you are interested in the West Coast don't forget to check out Oregon Health Sciences University-

marantic said:
if you are interested in the West Coast don't forget to check out Oregon Health Sciences University-

Yeah, Portland is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer with respect to engineering opportunities. Not necessary IN portland proper, but in the 'burbs outside the perimeter you will find a growing clone of silicon valley. I'm not too wild about the medical school, but I've heard that our pathology residency program is decent.