Need Help choosing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davis9267

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a little help on which schools I should apply to. My stats are (31R)
VR 10 PS 10 BS 11
BCPM 3.87 Overall 3.86

I'm from California, so I know I will apply to all the schools within this state, but I was wondering, especially with my MCAT score, where I should apply out of state as well?

thanks~

5 Months study abroad in Japan
5 Months volunteer at health clinic in Japan (100 hours)
1 Year (200+ hours) Volunteering at Local hospital
Phi Betta Kappa
Math Tutor
Undergraduate Assistant in Freshman Science Courses (Teaching experience)
Deans List Every Quarter
Volunteering for Local convention with management status leading team of 45 people (4.5 years)
Accounting Office Employee 5 years
EMT Certified/Volunteer EMT
Some Research

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a School Selection sticky at the top of this forum that can help you pick schools based on how competitive your stats are. Consider downloading it, as it is an excellent resource contining information from the just-released MSAR.

Thank you, what is the best way to pick from that list without over picking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick about 4 dream schools above your LizzyM score, and 4 safeties, below it. The rest of your 24 or so schools should be within your reach. If there are multiple candidates, then research the cost, location, type of curriculum, cost of living, city vs noncity, etc. and pick the ones appealing to you the most. Be careful to check the percent taken from out of state if you choose state schools, as some take very few OOS. When you come of with a list of schools you'd attend, feel free to post it on this thread and get it critiqued.

As you're from California, consider including Rosalind Franklin and UIllinois (takes ~23% OOS, but very expensive) which seem to love Californians.

very nice GPA :) What would count as a safety in your opinion?

very nice GPA :) What would count as a safety in your opinion?

Thanks. I have one more 3 weeks to get through in order to keep it for app season.

Safetyish schools might be:
Albany
Creighton
Jefferson
MCW
Penn State
SLU
Temple
Tulane
VCU
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin