Need Help- deciding between 2 PsyD programs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDGradStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have read every "PsyD vs. PhD" post and every professional school debate on this website. I have mostly found very helpful information, yet still have a desperate dilemma and cannot seem to find the information I need anywhere on this forum. Any and all opinions are WELCOME. MORE than welcome.

Here is my situation: I was accepted to and am trying to decide between two PsyD programs here in Chicago: The Chicago School of Professional Psychology and Roosevelt University. Both are APA accredited. I was also accepted to Adler's PsyD program but eliminated it for various reasons. So it's between The Chicago School and Roosevelt University. First of all, I understand people's concerns over professional schools, but based on the information I've learned, as I understand it The Chicago School seems to have a reputation and background that is superior in quality to many other professional schools across the country (i.e. many Argosy schools) and is sometimes unfairly lumped with "all" professional schools. I also understand people's various opinions about the PsyD versus PhD, but I am confident that I would like to pursue my PsyD. It took me several years to decide this, and I am certain that I want a practitioner-focused education and not one based in research. I understand there are many clinically-oriented PhD programs out there, but I am limited to the Chicago area. When I was still considering the PhD, I didn't apply to any PhD programs in Chicago because they are too research-oriented and I do not want a research-heavy program (regardless of the opinion that several years of research in graduate school is worth the overall long-term career benefits of having a PhD in clinical psychology). I did however find one clinically-oriented PhD program in clinical psychology in the area, but it happens to be one of the most competitive in the country (Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine) and unfortunately I am not qualified for this school, at least at this point in my education (they require a year of experience in a clinical setting whereas I only have two months. They also require the Psychology Subject test as most PhD programs do, but I had only taken the General GRE for the schools I applied to and didn't feel prepared to take the Subject test before the application deadline. Not to mention how extremely competitive it would be to get into this program, even if I more than met the qualifications). I see the value in taking time to work on your applications for a few years, gaining clinical/research experience, etc until being qualified for such a competitive clinically-oriented PhD program as opposed to attending a professional school for a PsyD. However, I have been preparing in one way or another for PsyD applications for several years now, and can't imagine waiting one more year. I have worked hard on preparing for my applications over a long period of time and am ready to start my education now.

It would be so, so very helpful if I could gather some advice on which school to attend. There is little to no info or opinions on Roosevelt University's PsyD program on studentdoctor, at least in my searches. I've found plenty of information/opinions on The Chicago School's PsyD program, but no information which compares this school to Roosevelt University's PsyD program. I welcome any and all opinions comparing these two schools. Both positive and negative information would help. Please no requests to ditch both schools and attend a PhD program instead. If I really find myself to be unhappy at whichever school I attend this fall, I will re-apply to Northwestern's clinically oriented PhD program next year after I feel I meet the qualifications. But for now, I'm picking TCS or Roosevelt, so I need your help! Quick stats- Roosevelt is significantly cheaper (~$40,000) but I do not want to make the decision between schools solely based on this because if TCS is still a better choice, then I would go there. Other info: APA match rates are pretty good and comparable at both schools. Some differences: Roosevelt accepts a maximum of 20 new students (TCS ~100 students). Some professional school students feel that having a larger cohort and larger faculty gives them more resources, more connections, more opportunities for networking, more diversified training, etc. Also, I would get the opportunity to teach my own undergraduate classes at Roosevelt whereas I wouldn't have this opportunity at TCS (only TA positions).

My main issue is over the fact that Roosevelt is a university and not a stand-alone professional school (although some would debate that Roosevelt still counts as a professional school because they are not funded). Considering the fact that Roosevelt and TCS are pretty comparable in terms of match rates, licensure, quality of training, I am strongly considering Roosevelt because it is part of a larger university and a PsyD from a university seems to be more respectable in the field than a stand-alone professional school. Does anyone have opinions on this? I have read many opinions that encourage people to get their PsyD from a university over a professional school, but is Roosevelt considered a university by most? Or because it is unfunded, would people lump it with the professional schools? I know the quality of education and training as well as internship/licensure rates are most important, but since between these two schools the stats are so similar, I am looking to other criteria such as reputation for future employment. Here is another issue: not many people have heard of Roosevelt University, whereas TCS has a pretty strong national reputation. So does this "trump" the fact that Roosevelt is a university and TCS is not? Is it better to attend a stand-alone professional school with a strong national reputation, or a so-called "real" university with not much of a reputation at all?

I am truly desperate for opinions as the APA deadline is fast approaching. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

a href="http://www.4icu.org/us/Illinois.htm">List of top Colleges and Universities in Illinois - Rankings by web popularity</a>

This may not help, but it is all I could find. I normally use US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT as a good site for information but it really had nothing for The Chicago School. It had a tier placement for Roosevelt but it an N/A for the ranking.

I would choose Roosevelt based on the fact it is a university, given all other stats are the same. This is because I would like to be employed in academia. Therefore, some of the decision has to do with ..."What do you want to do with the degree?"

I hope this helps.....:xf::D:D

Thanks Knowing, much appreciated. I was thinking Roosevelt being a university is quite important. To answer your question, I am pursuing the Psy.D. because my career goals are not to be employed in academia, but to be a clinician/practitioner (therapy specifically). However, I would like to be as competitive as possible for Internships at university hospitals since there are so many great sites here in Chicago, and although I understand those with PhDs in clinical psychology will maybe take priority over me, I am wondering if my education/training being at a university will help my chances. I wonder if the university hospitals look down upon professional schools. In addition to practice, I would like to supplement my career with some part-time teaching. I enjoy teaching and have experience with it in a non-related field. Although I understand I may not be able to teach at a tier-1 university, I'd be happy teaching at other schools and it's only something I want to do part-time. I'm not going to be pursuing a tenured position or anything. Roosevelt University would allow me to teach my own undergraduate classes (with complete independence- you design your own curriculum, etc. There is also a teacher training seminar that you take). However, I know attending The Chicago School provides the opportunity to TA classes...not the same of course, but my point is I don't think TCS would limit my future teaching opportunities in any way, at least not any more than Roosevelt would, so maybe the opportunity to teach at Roosevelt isn't as significant as I think. Another concern is...is TCS superior to Roosevelt in terms of clinical training/practicum? I am under the impression that all the schools are in competition for the same practicum sites, but just curious.

Please keep the comments coming....really anything helps!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into the Illinois Institute of Technology? It is in Chicago and very clinically oriented for a PhD program. It's only partially funded (so is Feinberg for that matter) but will leave you with much less debt than the average prof school. Additionally, as there is an undergrad program, you will also have opportunities to TA and teach eventually. I have heard that the Chicago School has very few teaching opportunities and you get paid very little to do it. G'luck!

I would go with Roosevelt because it is part of a university and more importantly, because its cheaper. Unless there is a glaring difference between the two programs (such as a big difference in match rates), I would go with cost. You want to be in less deep when you get out.

Last edited:
I'd go with Roosevelt. I was also accepted to both, along with other schools across the nation. I had a great feel for the faculty at RU and what the program offers. That said, for anyone considering The Chicago School but worried about costs, assistantships and merit scholarships at TCS can bring down costs.

I am a current student at the chicago school. I am not in the Psy D program-but am applying to many of them in the fall. I have enjoyed my (very costly) experience at TC and have had one class taught by a Psy D student. There are many TA positions and they get 10 bucks/hr.
While working on a group project in the student lounge, a psy d student approached us and asked us to sign a petition and to come to a meeting to talk to the TC board members. The psy d students' concerns were, they felt that the school was pushing them out to start a new batch. I guess what a lot of people refer to as a degree mill. I am not sure what ever happened with the meeting.
Will I go to the chicago school? It would not be my first choice. I will apply as a back up plan. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a good experience (as i believe it is what you make of it)-it just wouldn't be MY FIRST choice for the PsyD program. I have looked into Roosevelt as well. I would personally enjoy smaller classes, cheaper tuition, and the ability to teach classes. But that is all personal choice. There are a lot of things to weigh out about both.....good luck with your decision.