Need Help Deciding Path to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShadowHuskey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have thought of two different paths to get into a medical school each with their own benefits and I need the community of studentdoctor to help me decide.

Path #1: Take GED exam during 11th grade of High School and not attend 12th grade. Take all prerequisites at a community college and transfer to a 4 year university to take the difficult sciences courses. I see this path is much cheaper and I get to see save a year, but I am afraid that it will be a struggle to get classes because community colleges in California are very crowded. I am also afraid that I might not have enough time to do research with professors.

Path #2: Go to a 4 year university from High School and then apply directly to medical schools. As I see it, it will be a much less struggle to get classes. And I will be able to build better relationships with professors and other professionals that can give me letters of recommendations. Additionally I will have 4 years to do research.

Please advise me at what to do. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From a fellow student who is in California at a CC, do route two.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a traditional applicant, you'll only have 3 years to do research, not four. Besides, shouldn't this be posted in hSDN?

Can tell me why?

Sure. I'm a pre-med student and as you said, it is VERY difficult to get any classes at a community colleges. The prices of our classes are going up, more people are going back to CC, and therefore it is super difficult to get classes. That 'one' year you're saving is going to be spent here as an extra year trying to get classes. The classes at a CC are ridiculous. You're going to miss out a lot when your friends are away to college, because living home/going to a CC is miserable. Also: no research opportunity until you transfer, and when you do transfer, you only have one year/two years to take your MCAT..no good connection for getting your letters either.

Sure. I'm a pre-med student and as you said, it is VERY difficult to get any classes at a community colleges. The prices of our classes are going up, more people are going back to CC, and therefore it is super difficult to get classes. That 'one' year you're saving is going to be spent here as an extra year trying to get classes. The classes at a CC are ridiculous. You're going to miss out a lot when your friends are away to college, because living home/going to a CC is miserable. Also: no research opportunity until you transfer, and when you do transfer, you only have one year/two years to take your MCAT..no good connection for getting your letters either.

I agree with this. A 4 year university is a better option. If you want you can take some CC classes during the summer or something.

From a fellow student who is in California at a CC, do route two.
Definitely second this. I can honestly tell you that the biggest regret of my life so far was not trying during high school and contending myself on going to community college. Although I followed this path after my senior year. If you plan on getting your GED after your junior year while obviously it is advantageous in the sense of the time saved (you'll be a junior in college by the time your friends are sophomores assuming that you transfer within two years) you will also miss out on the last two years of your high school. Also I should warn you that getting classes at community college ESPECIALLY major specific preparatory classes is almost impossible without having a good priority for registration and if you do manage to get into one of these classes it will usually be with a terrible professor. Also don't think that community college classes are a walk in the park. Some professors are actually very very difficult and it is actually incredibly difficult to transfer to schools such as UCLA and Berkeley depending on your major. You might want to take a look at this before making your decision http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_tr/Tr_Prof10_mjr.htm . I would without a doubt suggest you stay in high school and do your best to get into a very good university. Trust me you'll thank yourself.

Also I should warn you that due to the difficulty of getting classes it is almost impossible to transfer within two years especially if you're a science major

Also I should warn you that due to the difficulty of getting classes it is almost impossible to transfer within two years especially if you're a science major

any major at that.