Need help deciding SMP program!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyDocFan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I know it's really late but is there any SMP program that still accepts for this August/September? I recently found out that I got rejected off the waitlist at one of the US allopathic schools and I'd like to get into a SMP program that still accepts stduents.
A little bit of background : my gpa is 3.7, MCAT is 30 (this will expire this year so I'm going to have to retake this anyway). I'm an international student.
I'm also thinking of going to Carribean (SGU) if not accepted at any other SMP. I already did 1 SMP and graduated this May (3.5 GPA) and at this point I'm not sure if it's worth doing another one or should I just go study aboard?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly dont know how you didn't get accepted to DO or MD schools, your scores are not bad.
And i also dont think that you should waste time/money on ANOTHER SMP program. Just retake your mcat and take graduate level courses (1-cause its cheaper and 2- to just make it look good that you attended classes while waiting to retake mcat and re-apply.

best of luck

Hey, I think u should talk to a counselor first (if your undegrad. offers one, or if your SMP offers any), and see if there's other weakness you can improve on, like extracurricular/clinical/volunteering/direct-patient contact. And if your score expires soon, better retake sooner than later. Also see if any med school you applied to can give you some feedback, that will be the best. They have your entire app. besides the numbers and they can let you know what they want to see to be improved on. Most of them don't, but you should give it a try.

Also just realized you are international......that just makes everything harder.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I know it's really late but is there any SMP program that still accepts for this August/September? I recently found out that I got rejected off the waitlist at one of the US allopathic schools and I'd like to get into a SMP program that still accepts stduents.
A little bit of background : my gpa is 3.7, MCAT is 30 (this will expire this year so I'm going to have to retake this anyway). I'm an international student.
I'm also thinking of going to Carribean (SGU) if not accepted at any other SMP. I already did 1 SMP and graduated this May (3.5 GPA) and at this point I'm not sure if it's worth doing another one or should I just go study aboard?

What SMP did you complete already? Did it have any linkage to a med school?

Bolded and red is the reason you aren't in a US med school.