Need help deciding where to apply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HokieBiology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

First I'll give you some background info: This is my third round applying to dental school. I am a Virginia resident and I obtained a BS in Biological Sciences from Virginia Tech.
Overall GPA= 3.61, Science GPA= 3.52 , DAT score = 21 AA
Also, my dad is a general dentist in virginia. He went to VCU and volunteers in the dental school clinics at VCU.

Since graduating college, I worked in a restaurant for a couple months until finding a temp job at a pharmaceutical company in a microbiology lab. I got laid off in June and have been applying to more jobs but will probably work in a restaurant until I find another lab job.

Also, I've done a lot of shadowing and I have a pretty good record of community service.

I only applied to three schools for both applications for the last two years (I know, I should have applied to backup schools) . Last year I applied to VCU, Maryland, and Louisville. I only got an interview with VCU. I'm thinking of applying to VCU (as my top choice) and NYU and LECOM and a couple others as backup. VCU is my top choice because I live in Richmond, Va and I love it.
Not getting in to dental school for the last two years really stinks, but dentistry is my passion so I'm not giving up. I've never posted anything on here before, but I figured I would ask for your thoughts on where I should apply this year/ which schools you think I have the best odds of getting into.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know the reason why the schools didn't accept you the past two cycles? Did you retake your DAT or something?

Reactions: 1 user
You need to apply to more schools. You've already been rejected twice when applying to three schools, and now you're planning to apply to 5 or 6? What if you don't get accepted this cycle? You have a good GPA and DAT, but if I were you I would apply to 10-15 schools to make sure I get accepted somewhere this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know the reason why the schools didn't accept you the past two cycles? Did you retake your DAT or something?
After the first cycle, I got some help from the previous dean of admissions at VCU. I pretty much just had to tweak my application. As far as last year's cycle, I'm not quite sure. I didn't retake my DATs, I only took them once.

I guess the real question is: which schools accept a lot of out of state applicants?