Need help deciding!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tumi 07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I choose Wingate or University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM)? ULM is fully accredited with a near perfect to perfect pass rate on the NAPLEX. The class size is around 80-90 and they are very strict there (if you make less than a C twice, then you will get kicked out the program). However, i doubt i will fail any of my classes. Also, ULM is closer to home (about 4 hours away) and its only about $12k a year for in-state students. Wingate has a very good up and coming new program with its first graduating class this May. The class sizes are smaller (about 72 people), they emphasize a lot on group work, and it seems very student oriented there. The tuition is higher at about $23k so ULM is about $11k cheaper. So which school should I choose??? Such a tough decision.

Members don't see this ad.

seems like a no brainer. I'd go for your in state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
$11k doesn't seem like a lot of difference for one year, but remember you'll be paying that difference for 4 years. So is Wingate $44k better than ULM? (not to mention all the interest you will be on the additional $44k of debt) My guess is no, but it is only a guess and only you know which would be best for you. Good luck with your decision!

I would talk to current students at ULM SOP & see what they think of the program.

I know at my state school which is ranked VERY high the students HATE it. Its because teachers make it too hard and they don't seem to care if students don't understand the material & drop out.

I only applied to private schools this year bc I think they will care about the students more & definitely don't want you to drop out bc they depend on your $$! ;)

All the Wingate students I've talked to really like the school, which is a major factor in choosing a pharmacy school in my book. :)

I would talk to current students at ULM SOP & see what they think of the program.

I know at my state school which is ranked VERY high the students HATE it. Its because teachers make it too hard and they don't seem to care if students don't understand the material & drop out.

I only applied to private schools this year bc I think they will care about the students more & definitely don't want you to drop out bc they depend on your $$! ;)

All the Wingate students I've talked to really like the school, which is a major factor in choosing a pharmacy school in my book. :)

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have a co-worker that goes to ULM and she really likes it but I'll get some other opinions also before I make the ultimate decision. Wingate does seem like they are really student oriented but ULM seems like they care too (just at a greater extent at Wingate). This is gonna be one tough decision!