Need help deciding!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supracalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I recently got accepted into Pharm school for Fall 2008. In February, I got a job as pharmacy assistant in Rite Aid. Although I like this job and the people that work there, they have recently cut my hours so that I only work 8 hours/week now. The pharmacist there said I could intern once I get my license, but I am hesitant now because they have cut my hours. I have applied for internships at hospitals and another retail chain (just in case), which I am very interested in because it seems to provide more opportunities to learn. Plus, I am pretty sure that these internships will provide more hours, which I need, especially since summer is starting. The only good thing about Rite Aid cutting my hours is that I can vacation more since I only work 8 hours/week, and the pharmacist there is very flexible. My question is, should I leave Rite Aid if I get an internship elsewhere? I feel bad because I have been working there for such a short amount of time (is it bad to quit after working for a few months) and the pharmacist there is so nice and pulled some strings to get me in. The pharmacy itself is not really busy (which is why they cut my hours), so maybe the pharmacist would be more free to teach me stuff? I dunno what to do. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I recently got accepted into Pharm school for Fall 2008. In February, I got a job as pharmacy assistant in Rite Aid. Although I like this job and the people that work there, they have recently cut my hours so that I only work 8 hours/week now. The pharmacist there said I could intern once I get my license, but I am hesitant now because they have cut my hours. I have applied for internships at hospitals and another retail chain (just in case), which I am very interested in because it seems to provide more opportunities to learn. Plus, I am pretty sure that these internships will provide more hours, which I need, especially since summer is starting. The only good thing about Rite Aid cutting my hours is that I can vacation more since I only work 8 hours/week, and the pharmacist there is very flexible. My question is, should I leave Rite Aid if I get an internship elsewhere? I feel bad because I have been working there for such a short amount of time (is it bad to quit after working for a few months) and the pharmacist there is so nice and pulled some strings to get me in. The pharmacy itself is not really busy (which is why they cut my hours), so maybe the pharmacist would be more free to teach me stuff? I dunno what to do. Thanks for your help!

Well, you could split your time between two pharmacy jobs. Like, work for Rite-Aid one day and CVS, Walgreens, or a hospital the other day.

Be careful about remembering your schedule though, I was working at Radioshack and CVS at one point, I showed up at CVS when I was supposed to be at Radioshack.

The problem with working at both places is that my hours at Rite Aid are on Saturday and Sunday, and the internship at the hospital requires that I work weekends and weekdays too. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with working at both places is that my hours at Rite Aid are on Saturday and Sunday, and the internship at the hospital requires that I work weekends and weekdays too. :(

Drop Rite Aid, do the internship

See if you can do both at the same time, that is, if time allows. Since your pharmacist has "pulled some strings" to get you into his pharmacy, and also the fact that you have worked there not too long, I would try to stick to the job if you want to.
Not too many individuals can land a part time job at a Rite Aid, including myself (maybe because my town consists of a pharmacy school and many pharm students compete for these opportunities.) I would be very happy if I were in your position.