Medical Need help figuring out what to do regarding bad MCAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
39,811
Reaction score
23,003
So I am a career changer postbacc who was part of a fast track program for my state med school. I got a 3.95 GPA but did bad on my MCAT 494. Main reason is nerves got the best of me, didn't focus enough on the calculations reviews and just concepts, was busy trying to pass my remaining classes, and did kind of rush it to take it for the postbacc fast track. I know I can do better. I was scoring in 502-504 range on practice tests and honestly had only 2 weeks to actually devote to studying MCAT. The thing is I interviewed already and everything. They are just waiting on my score for their review. She wants it in next day or two. So now I don't know what to do. Should i back out? Do I tell them I did poorly? Or do I just send my score and just let them reject me? Do i not send my score and just withdraw? Do i apologize? not sure what to do
This is unfortunate, but there really is no choice to make here. You transmit the score, tell them you understand if they can’t accept you, and vow to do better and reapply.

next time, do not take the test unless you’re consistently getting in the 510ish range. Even 502-504 isn’t going to open any doors for you.

Members don't see this ad.
 
should i transmit the score? or would it be just better to withdraw my application from review? is there any chance they might consider me, in case i should transmit my score? the thing is i am in a professional school at the same school, and the dean actually told me maybe i could defer my admission. i think they would have accepted me if not for the mcat ;( but i feel like there is no point in transmitting the score if there is no chance they will accept me. but you think i should do that anyway? (i'm not trying to fight you or anything, just really confused about what to do. appreciate your response. just want to make sure you understand only asking again because just stumped about this)
I’m curious if anyone has other thoughts, but I kind of feel like they are going to find out eventually anyways. When you eventually submit your MCAT record they will see all attempts. So it would just be weird to not submit at this point, IMO. What would you say when they inevitably ask why you are choosing to withdraw your app?
 
I’m curious if anyone has other thoughts, but I kind of feel like they are going to find out eventually anyways. When you eventually submit your MCAT record they will see all attempts. So it would just be weird to not submit at this point, IMO. What would you say when they inevitably ask why you are choosing to withdraw your app?
Agree. Unless you're going to withdraw and not apply there in the future, you've got nothing to lose at this point and they will see it if you do reapply.

You don't mention an MCAT minimum for this program, so if there's not one, just transmit and let the chips fall where they may.
 
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry it was 498 the minimum for this program. i got a 494 ;((. do i transmit by mcat website or by email? sorry, i am career changer, so not 100 percent knowledgeable.
Why don't you just email whoever and tell them the deal. If they say that you won't get in with a 494, then you're done. If they say to transmit it, ask them how. I assume they want you to transmit via the official channel, but I can't help you there. My MCAT score was transmitted by morse code.
 
well i am in email contact with the admission's dean, because it is a special program. so i would just say, "Hi so and so, Unfortunately, my MCAT score didn't turn out to be what I hoped for, so I feel it is best to withdraw my application and try next cycle. Attending XY University for med school is still my dream, and I am planning to have a stronger score and application in the future." Something like that. the only reason i was hesitating to do that was I was wondering if there were any chance they would accept me or make some kind of deal i could retake it in summer and defer or something like that since i am in this other professional program (law), but assuming that is probably unlikely? their "cutoff" is 498.

This seems highly unlikely, but you may as well just give them the information and let them make the decision on their own. The worst they can do is just reject you, in which case you'll still reapply anyways.

Eventually they are going to get the information that you scored <498. How exactly you go about this probably makes zero difference to your long-term outlook at this school.
 
Hearing your explanation as to why you did bad on the exam would have people question your judgment.

Simply submit the score and wait for the inevitable rejection.

Then for your retest, prepare adequately and do not take a career deciding high-stakes exam until you are 100% ready for it.
 
I mean, you really have no other choice but to submit. If you withhold, there may not be enough time for you to retake if they do want to offer you a deal. I would submit and have a plan for retake and to apply next year and hopefully they make a deal with you.
 
If you didn't meet the requirements,you'll be rejected. Can't sugar coat that. See what your options are and whether they could reconsider with a higher MCAT but you may have to apply again as a regular applicant to the school you had a linkage with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top