Need Help Figuring some things out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeykong1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a second year undergrad at a top big name university. I'm thinking about graduating school in 3 years. I will have all my prereqs done by then and will be applying to med schools in spring2011. my gpa/scigpa ratio right now is like a 3.62/3.47. but i'm pretty confident that with this summer semester and all of next year my gpa will be like a 3.73/3.61. i will be taking the mcat in may or june of 2011.

would it be wise to enroll in smp for 1 year while i'm applying to med schools? i'm basicaly looking for pros and cons..

Members don't see this ad.

NO.

You have a really good GPA. Why would you want to risk all that by doing an SMP? An SMP can't be done just for thrills. It's reserved for students, whose numerical credentials are not up to par, to take med school classes and prove to adcoms that they can succeed in medical school.

would it be wise to enroll in smp for 1 year while i'm applying to med schools? i'm basicaly looking for pros and cons..
There are no pros for you in an SMP. All cons. Get a job and travel and do stuff - you won't have this much freedom again for decades.

Note that there's a LOT more to a med school app than GPA and MCAT. Make sure you volunteer/work in healthcare and get exposed to unfamiliar things.

Best of luck to you.