Need help finalizing the school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Hope everyone is enjoying summer! I am an IL resident, and I just need some help trying to figure out which schools to apply to. My cGPA is 3.97 and my sGPA is 4.0. Also, my AA is 25, TS is 24, and PAT is 22. I have continuous employment throughout my undergrad career, one year of research, 100+ hours of shadowing, and some other decent extracurricular activities. So far, I have created the following list of schools to apply to, feel free to suggest removing or adding some:
1. Columbia
2. UCSF
3. UConn
4. UIowa
5. Boston University
5. Harvard
6. U of Michigan
7. U of North Carolina
8. NYU
9. Oregon Health and Science University
10. UPitt
11. VCU
12. Marquette
13. UIC

Note: The schools are in not particular order!

Members don't see this ad.

apply to your state schools and maybe 2-3 others, assuming your app is as impressive as your grades i think you'd be wasting money applying to so many schools.
remove UNC and oregon because I'm pretty sure they dont accept many OOS.
consider removing harvard and marquette.

Really solid list. I think you could get away with removing some expensive schools. Any reason why you have UCSF over UCLA?
The guide to dental schools book said that UCLA prefers in state applicants, whereas UCSF does. No other specific reason!

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure OP is from IL so UIC and Marquette are good to keep. I would add SIU and remove Oregon, NYU, and BU
The only problem with SIU is that it's a rural program. They prefer people from rural area within IL, and those who intend to serve in those areas (ex- Rockford). A friend of mine with a 4.0 and 24AA didn't even get an interview there. Considering I'm not from such area, I don't think it's good to apply. Although I'll remove Oregon if they don't accept a lot of OOS students.

That's funny, I never knew that. I think there might be more to the story, though. Many competitive IL residents get interviews at both schools. Considering the school is so cheap, I think it's always worth a chance. It would be a good thing to have SIU in the cards come Dec 1st!
Alright, I'll switch Oregon with SIU!

Reactions: 1 user