Need Help Finding a Physician to Shadow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Revan93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to find a physician to allow me to shadow. I have been to countless medical offices where I have dropped off my resume and cover letter while explaining my intentions to the manager of each office. Either I get denied immediately, or I never hear back from the medical office.

So this is the problem: I got waitlisted at a medical school that told me that I interviewed well and everything about my application looked great, with the exception that I have no shadowing hours. I was told that if I could get some shadowing hours, I would greatly increase my chances of moving off the waitlist.

If anyone knows of any physicians that are receptive to shadowing in California, or specifically in the Sacramento area, I would be most thankful. I would hate for this to be the thing that would keep me out of medical school.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I had zero luck contacting offices. Receptionists usually think you're crazy and play interference. Or the doctors don't want the risk.

Do you volunteer at a hospital, or have any kind of affiliation through research? I was able to shadow a DO by reaching out to a physician at the ED where I volunteer, who put me in touch with a colleague, and an MD through a research connection. In both cases I already did HIPAA training at the sites, and was able to approach the physician in person. I realize that's not always possible, but it definitely was a bit less awkward.

EDIT: I see you're an EMT? Try and use any connection you have at a hospital to get in touch with an ED doctor. Its much easier to shadow in such an environment because you'll just blend in with all the volunteers, techs, scribes, and nurses anyway.

okay so I had the same problem with finding a doctor to shadow and it was really frustrating because the receptionist are super busy dealing with clinic stuff. All I knew was that If I got face to face time with the doc chances of a no would be slim.

So I chose a nearby clinic and in the morning before the clinic opened I waited for the doctor to show up. I approached and explained my intent. Gave resume and a letter of intent.

Also fill this out. Some doctors will be scared to let someone shadow because of HIPPA.
https://www.aamc.org/download/356316/data/shadowingguidelines2013.pdf
print appendix A and B. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had zero luck contacting offices. Receptionists usually think you're crazy and play interference. Or the doctors don't want the risk.

Do you volunteer at a hospital, or have any kind of affiliation through research? I was able to shadow a DO by reaching out to a physician at the ED where I volunteer, who put me in touch with a colleague, and an MD through a research connection. In both cases I already did HIPAA training at the sites, and was able to approach the physician in person. I realize that's not always possible, but it definitely was a bit less awkward.

EDIT: I see you're an EMT? Try and use any connection you have at a hospital to get in touch with an ED doctor. Its much easier to shadow in such an environment because you'll just blend in with all the volunteers, techs, scribes, and nurses anyway.

Yes, I'm an EMT and I definitely will try to see if I can make any connections. Problem is I'm afraid to approach a physician directly since they are so busy in the ED. Not sure what the correct approach would be...

okay so I had the same problem with finding a doctor to shadow and it was really frustrating because the receptionist are super busy dealing with clinic stuff. All I knew was that If I got face to face time with the doc chances of a no would be slim.

So I chose a nearby clinic and in the morning before the clinic opened I waited for the doctor to show up. I approached and explained my intent. Gave resume and a letter of intent.

Also fill this out. Some doctors will be scared to let someone shadow because of HIPPA.
https://www.aamc.org/download/356316/data/shadowingguidelines2013.pdf
print appendix A and B. Good luck.

Yeah, most doctors out receptionists that have talked with me have said that HIPAA is the main reason why they don't allow shadowing. I will definitely print those appendices and see if I have any luck. Thanks so much!

Hello everybody,

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to find a physician to allow me to shadow. I have been to countless medical offices where I have dropped off my resume and cover letter while explaining my intentions to the manager of each office. Either I get denied immediately, or I never hear back from the medical office.

So this is the problem: I got waitlisted at a medical school that told me that I interviewed well and everything about my application looked great, with the exception that I have no shadowing hours. I was told that if I could get some shadowing hours, I would greatly increase my chances of moving off the waitlist.

If anyone knows of any physicians that are receptive to shadowing in California, or specifically in the Sacramento area, I would be most thankful. I would hate for this to be the thing that would keep me out of medical school.

The way I approached this is shadowing at hospitals or clinics of large hospital networks. These usually have everything laid out on their websites. Some, I got by contacting their HR. 2 other doctors I shadowed, I personally knew.

There are some in sac. I did there. Dropping off resumes isn’t necessary. Being an EMT won’t be a problem to shadow. Just ask one. I’m sure you’ve come into contact with them. Tell them what you’ve been told about shadowing and waitlist. If nothing else, most wont mind for one shift so you can check a box

Reactions: 1 users
I had trouble and wound up contacting my state Osteopathic Medical Association. They were able to find me one and let me attend their conference for admissions networking.

Hello everybody,

I've found about 5 physicians in 5 different specialties to shadow simply by asking them face to face. It helps when they are your own doctor and you ask them during the appointment (that's what I did) and ask if they know other doctors in another specialty you're interested in. I always asked them a bunch of questions such as why they chose the specialty, why medicine, what school they went to, what they like to do outside of being a doctor, how hard med school was, what they like/dislike about being a doctor, etc. before I asked to shadow. I never gave them my resume at all and all of them were super happy that I wanted to shadow them. I'm in NYC btw, but I'm sure if you took the same approach as me it would work.

I've found about 5 physicians in 5 different specialties to shadow simply by asking them face to face. It helps when they are your own doctor and you ask them during the appointment (that's what I did) and ask if they know other doctors in another specialty you're interested in. I always asked them a bunch of questions such as why they chose the specialty, why medicine, what school they went to, what they like to do outside of being a doctor, how hard med school was, what they like/dislike about being a doctor, etc. before I asked to shadow. I never gave them my resume at all and all of them were super happy that I wanted to shadow them. I'm in NYC btw, but I'm sure if you took the same approach as me it would work.
I've tried asking my own family physician and gastroenterologist if they would let me shadow after I expressed interest in medicine, and they both told me that they couldn't because it would violate HIPAA privacy laws. I'm not sure if they are hiding behind this because they just want to be nice and not deal with the hassles of shadowing, but it's quite frustrating. All of my friends here in California are having similar struggles finding a physician to shadow, so it leads me to believe that California is very shadow unfriendly.

There are some in sac. I did there. Dropping off resumes isn’t necessary. Being an EMT won’t be a problem to shadow. Just ask one. I’m sure you’ve come into contact with them. Tell them what you’ve been told about shadowing and waitlist. If nothing else, most wont mind for one shift so you can check a box
I'm definitely planning on explaining my waitlist situation to physicians and hoping that it will help my case.

I've tried asking my own family physician and gastroenterologist if they would let me shadow after I expressed interest in medicine, and they both told me that they couldn't because it would violate HIPAA privacy laws. I'm not sure if they are hiding behind this because they just want to be nice and not deal with the hassles of shadowing, but it's quite frustrating. All of my friends here in California are having similar struggles finding a physician to shadow, so it leads me to believe that California is very shadow unfriendly.
That's so weird that all of them are rejecting you like that. None of the doctors I asked brought up HIPAA at all. They just straight up said "yes, any time" and gave me their contact info and schedule. Can you contact a med school or a teaching hospital and ask them if they have any physicians who are open to shadowing? If you're looking for a DO specifically, have you tried going on the Home - Doctors That DO | Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine website to look for DOs in your area?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

That's so weird that all of them are rejecting you like that. None of the doctors I asked brought up HIPAA at all. They just straight up said "yes, any time" and gave me their contact info and schedule. Can you contact a med school or a teaching hospital and ask them if they have any physicians who are open to shadowing? If you're looking for a DO specifically, have you tried going on the Home - Doctors That DO | Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine website to look for DOs in your area?

So I actually tried contacting Touro-CA a few months ago, and I asked if they had any physicians that I could shadow. They told me that they didn't and that was that. I have actually been to that website, and that's how I located a large majority of the DOs on my area. I got mostly silence. There was one DO I found on that site that looked promising, but he told me that "he didn't have it in him" to let me shadow. Yeah, it's quite frustrating when I see everyone else have success finding physicians to shadow.

So I actually tried contacting Touro-CA a few months ago, and I asked if they had any physicians that I could shadow. They told me that they didn't and that was that. Yeah, it's quite frustrating when I see everyone else have success finding physicians to shadow.
Try the website. Then call up as many doctors as you can, explain your situation, and show interest in the specialty (or maybe just medicine in general). You've already applied to schools so maybe emphasize on that and how helpful it would be for you to see what they do and learn from them. There has to be at least one in your area that will say yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try the website. Then call up as many doctors as you can, explain your situation, and show interest in the specialty (or maybe just medicine in general). You've already applied to schools so maybe emphasize on that and how helpful it would be for you to see what they do and learn from them. There has to be at least one in your area that will say yes.

I edited my post. I have used the website. I located a large majority of the DOs on my area. I got mostly silence. There was one DO I found on that site that looked promising, but he told me that "he didn't have it in him" to let me shadow. So it wasn't as helpful as it was for some.

I edited my post. I have used the website. I located a large majority of the DOs on my area. I got mostly silence. There was one DO I found on that site that looked promising, but he told me that "he didn't have it in him" to let me shadow. So it wasn't as helpful as it was for some.
I shadowed a DO and MD up in NorCal earlier this year. Would you be willing to drive down to Stockton?

Stockton would be very doable! That would be much appreciated, thanks!!
If you’re willing to drive, Chico. It’s about the same distance as Stockton too.

Last edited:
Stockton would be very doable! That would be much appreciated, thanks!!

I have a husband and wife doctor client and they have their own clinic. Both are MD and they are located in Lincoln. Let me know if you want to shadow them I will give you their contact information. There is another DO doctor clinic in Folsom, I can give you his info as well.

I’ll shoot them emails. So I can put in a word of heads up, PM me some basic info about yourself. Looking at the above posts, seems like you have a quite a few options now!

I have a husband and wife doctor client and they have their own clinic. Both are MD and they are located in Lincoln. Let me know if you want to shadow them I will give you their contact information. There is another DO doctor clinic in Folsom, I can give you his info as well.
That would be great! Would you like me to PM you with my contact info? Thanks so much!

I’ll shoot them emails. So I can put in a word of heads up, PM me some basic info about yourself. Looking at the above posts, seems like you have a quite a few options now!
I'll PM you right now! Thanks!

Hi, I know this is about three years later than when you posted this. However, I live in Lincoln, and am looking for doctors to shadow. Do you think the doctor couple would be interesting in allowing me to shadow them.

Hi, I know this is about three years later than when you posted this. However, I live in Lincoln, and am looking for doctors to shadow. Do you think the doctor couple would be interesting in allowing me to shadow them.

You can try contacting them. Send me pvt message.

i don’t know any doctors that are allowing anyone to shadow right now. Just another crap part of Covid

I would be interested in finding a doctor to shadow in Sacramento-Lincoln-Placerville-Auburn area. Anywhere within 100 miles, seriously. Please PM me a I will respond asap. Thanks.

I guess its difficult to find doctors in California to shadow. I have friends who are doing pretty well in another states. Can someone provide me some info of Doctors that I can shadow in Socal. I live in LA area and its very difficult to find shadowing opportunities here.

I guess its difficult to find doctors in California to shadow. I have friends who are doing pretty well in another states. Can someone provide me some info of Doctors that I can shadow in Socal. I live in LA area and its very difficult to find shadowing opportunities here.
Have you heard of virtual shadowing? Covid era calls for innovation and many schools are very receptive to virtual shadowing. I've been slacking but still racking over 50 hours since mid-July 2020.

@MaxCycle42 I am aware of virtual shadowing but I am not sure how helpful it will be and also it's very expensive to afford. I heard it costs around $1500 for a month. If you have a reasonable one please let me know. Thank you.

I also want to do in-person shadowing as things have been better in 2021.

@MaxCycle42 I am aware of virtual shadowing but I am not sure how helpful it will be and also it's very expensive to afford. I heard it costs around $1500 for a month. If you have a reasonable one please let me know. Thank you.

I also want to do in-person shadowing as things have been better in 2021.
oh hell nah ( my apologies) First of all, they are all FREE. If anyone's paying for such a service, they are being scammed. Secondly, in-person is always better but at least get some hours until you can find a doctor to shadow. Pm me and I'll send you the links for them.

Hello everybody,

I don't know if this has been suggested yet but have you tried your own physician or prior pediatrician? Not many people more invested in your success than someone who watched you grow up for a decade plus!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

@MedSchoolTutors Checked with my primary care but he works for a hospital and they do not provide shadowing.
Ahhh, well worth a shot. Always worth making that connection though because if for some reason he has a colleague in an office or circumstances change, he will keep you in mind. Keep up the search!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Same problem. I never, once, had that cover letter nonsense work. I feel like the person who recommended it just thought the idea of some poor college student showing up in a suit dropping off a cover letter looked good. It's awful

My best advice is volunteer in a hospital and get connections there. Like in the ED. Eventually the floor knows you and since you're already a volunteer and been through hippa it's not an issue

Hi, I saw that this post is over four years old, but I am also on the medical track and live in Lincoln, and am struggling to find doctors to shadow in my area. If it is possible, may I have information to contact them.
Thank you,
Elizabeth Vydra

Hi, can you please let me know the contact information for the DO doctor in Folsom? I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

SDN should have an optional opt in program where attending physicians can register in a database and give the location of their practice, so pre meds can have a list of potential contacts.

i think that would be neat.

SDN should have an optional opt in program where attending physicians can register in a database and give the location of their practice, so pre meds can have a list of potential contacts.

i think that would be neat.
And why will any attending will do that for?

And why will any attending will do that for?
to give back? I wouldnt mind helping out premeds, I was in that position once. part of being a physician is sometimes doing things that arent for personal gain.

to give back? I wouldnt mind helping out premeds, I was in that position once. part of being a physician is sometimes doing things that arent for personal gain.
Sure, but I dont think people want to put their personal contacts in any database.
Anyway I think if any premed went to physician face to face and told him personally that he would like to shadow him I don’t think he would mind.
Don’t go to receptionist.

Sure, but I dont think people want to put their personal contacts in any database.
Anyway I think if any premed went to physician face to face and told him personally that he would like to shadow him I don’t think he would mind.
Don’t go to receptionist.

there are ways around it, you dont have to list out specific details so to speak.

Hi!
Is it possible to pm me the contact information of the doctors?
I will really appreciate it.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.