Need help finding D.O. for reference/help in Philly area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaFly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know where start so here goes....
I am in search of a physician(s) who can help me get letters of recommendation. I live in the Philadelphia area, so there is alot of them around.
Here's my catch. I am applying for residency next year. I had past problems with drugs/alcohol, but now with 3 years clean time---also with a felony on my record from 3 years ago. I only completed my internship (DO) 11 years ago.
I emailed a board member and he said it would "be in everyone's best interest" to go back and complete the residency. He said I could certainly get my license back (it expired, not suspended), and advanced training will only shine positive.
Long story short, I need to confide with some docs that will allow me some time with them and get to know me well enough to recommend me. It's all a tall order, but it'll be worth it!
I've talked with a psych doc about it, but as we all know how psych goes, she was encouraging but non-commited.
Anybody with any connections is greatly appreciated and advice/encouragement from anyone is also welcomed!
P.S. ask me any questions if you have them.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered going back to your medical school folks to ask for their help?

Also maybe the place where you completed your internship can assist you in finding someone.

Well done on kicking the habit and best of luck.

Don't know where start so here goes....
I am in search of a physician(s) who can help me get letters of recommendation. I live in the Philadelphia area, so there is alot of them around.
Here's my catch. I am applying for residency next year. I had past problems with drugs/alcohol, but now with 3 years clean time---also with a felony on my record from 3 years ago. I only completed my internship (DO) 11 years ago.
I emailed a board member and he said it would "be in everyone's best interest" to go back and complete the residency. He said I could certainly get my license back (it expired, not suspended), and advanced training will only shine positive.
Long story short, I need to confide with some docs that will allow me some time with them and get to know me well enough to recommend me. It's all a tall order, but it'll be worth it!
I've talked with a psych doc about it, but as we all know how psych goes, she was encouraging but non-commited.
Anybody with any connections is greatly appreciated and advice/encouragement from anyone is also welcomed!
P.S. ask me any questions if you have them.

The question is what have you been doing for the past 11 yrs? Working as GP until you let your license lapse?? Seems you might have some contact in those circles or at least get one reference from a supervising physician?? Sounds like a really hard situation to be in. Good luck with that

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking to my med school...why didn't I think of that? lol
As for the past 11 years.. I've worked for a company for electronic records, not clinical med. That's what I want to get back to.
The reason I only did my internship is that my wife was seriously injured in an accident. My children were small and I had no family support where I was....In defense of raising the kids, I had to do it. My wife is much more mobile now...the past is the past as they say.
The hospital where I did my internship is no more; my program director died and I lost track of anyone else there. :luck:
Thanks for the suggestions and support...keep the ideas coming.

Oh yes, its a tough situation...but getting much better. Gotta keep a positive attitude!!!!

Last edited:
Get in touch with the folks at PCOM. Volunteer to help with OMM lab and other activities. You have a DO school at your doorstep.

If you have some reason that this is not an option I completely understand.

If you did your internship through PCOM they might be able to connect you to those individuals you lost touch with.