DO Need help for school list!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

properdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.27 cGPA 3.26 sGPA

22 MCAT 8/6/8 (verbal was an outlier I literally always make a 9 on practice test, I took about a dozen)

GA resident

100+ clinical volunteering

60 hours shadowing (No DOs)

ER medical scribe where I've had the opportunity to work with DOs

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly suggest a retake, otherwise you looking only at the very bottom of the DO pool, MCAT-wise, like LUCOM and KYCOM. You'd be be autorejected at plenty of schools.

3.27 cGPA 3.26 sGPA

22 MCAT 8/6/8 (verbal was an outlier I literally always make a 9 on practice test, I took about a dozen)

GA resident

100+ clinical volunteering

60 hours shadowing (No DOs)

ER medical scribe where I've had the opportunity to work with DOs

Thank you for the feedback. I plan on applying next cycle. Do you think a MCAT retake or retaking courses would be better?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you retook last week. I assume your GPAs are from the DO calculations since they are very different from your other thread.

I put my AACOMAS GPA in the other post I think everyone overlooked it. Yes, I retook it the MCAT last week but for the sake of the argument if I made a 22 again would a boost in GPA or MCAT score be more beneficial to my resume?

Both :)

But if you had to pick one, my gut is that MCAT. Not to be rude; but a 22 is really low.. and if you're gonna take it a 3rd time (assuming you didn't have an improvement) I'd really recommend you take a prep course, or some time off work/change in study habits, cause if you hypothetically don't show improvement the 3rd time, I think it's a pretty sealed deal with that GPA and MCAT :(

I think he has taken the MCAT 3 times already. Another retake would be 4. Don't take it again until you figure out why you are having such a hard time doing better. Obviously just studying isn't helping you improve. You are pretty much out of the running for MD. Your GPA seems competitive for DO but that MCAT will get you screened out at most places.

I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6 AACOMAS GPA.
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Plan to apply to D.O Schools and HBCU's
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years
*** Did 20 Post-bacc hours at 4.0.

You should start your own thread so you get your own advice. You look like a competitive candidate though. Are you planning to apply next cycle? When you were in PT school did you do clinical volunteering? If not maybe add something in the clinical area like hospice, nursing home , hospital etc. Good luck!

I put my AACOMAS GPA in the other post I think everyone overlooked it. Yes, I retook it the MCAT last week but for the sake of the argument if I made a 22 again would a boost in GPA or MCAT score be more beneficial to my resume?
report back after retake results.