Need help for the choices I should make!! Applied for SGU august 2014 class

Started by fdoc93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fdoc93

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi !
I am a Canadian permanent resident and I just graduated with a bachelor in Physiology and I applied to some Canadian schools but got rejected. I wanted to apply to US MD Schools but one of thei requirements is to be a US citizen or a US permanent resident and I am none of these. I don'T know for DO schools , some state that in their requirements but others don'T but I read on other posts that in general US medical schools prefer residents or citizens. I also thought about doing a Postbacc at a US school to raise my GPA, and apply to DO schools but then I realized that it won't change anything, I will still have the status of an international student….
I have a 3.15 GPA AND A 24 mcat. I applied to SGU for the august 2014 class and I am waiting for them to answer me. Are there some people here that have already been admitted to the SGU AUGUST 2014 CLASS ? IF yes do you mind sharing your GPAs and MCAT scores ? I want to know if I have a chance to get in.
I am very lost, don't know which path I should take, any advice would be welcome
 
Hi !
I am a Canadian permanent resident and I just graduated with a bachelor in Physiology and I applied to some Canadian schools but got rejected. I wanted to apply to US MD Schools but one of thei requirements is to be a US citizen or a US permanent resident and I am none of these. I don'T know for DO schools , some state that in their requirements but others don'T but I read on other posts that in general US medical schools prefer residents or citizens. I also thought about doing a Postbacc at a US school to raise my GPA, and apply to DO schools but then I realized that it won't change anything, I will still have the status of an international student….
I have a 3.15 GPA AND A 24 mcat. I applied to SGU for the august 2014 class and I am waiting for them to answer me. Are there some people here that have already been admitted to the SGU AUGUST 2014 CLASS ? IF yes do you mind sharing your GPAs and MCAT scores ? I want to know if I have a chance to get in.
I am very lost, don't know which path I should take, any advice would be welcome
Hmm, you GPA is a bit low, and your mcat is also a bit low. From what I understand, you really want to be a doctor which I admire. However, from what I understand, normally when you apply to SGU with your stats, the school was test your basic science knowledge by sending you to a smaller campus. If do well at this campus, you will be moved to the main campus. I hope this helps. I am also planning to apply to SGU. I just sent my transcripts out today and I will submit in my apps by the end of the week. Hopefully I can send my LOTR out by the end of next week.
But I would encourage you to not give up! Apply to Ross and AUC. By back is Ross and my friend applied who got into Ross with a 25 on the mcat and maybe a 3.2 gpa.
I hope this helps. I have read many forums and the medical road is a depressing road. But just hang in there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No offense, but as long as you are able to sign a paycheck you should be admitted. Don't worry about it.
Not true.
SGU rejectes 2/3 of its applicants for the MD program and for the vet program, only ~150 out of 450 applicants were accepted.
Please do more research before you make these claims. I do not even believe you are a pre-med, seeing your old post asking about the DAT.
 
No offense, but as long as you are able to sign a paycheck you should be admitted. Don't worry about it.

I disagree here. SGU may be easier to get into in comparison with US schools, but even they have standards. I believe accepted students have an average GPA of 3.3 and an MCAT of 24.
 
No, I personally know several people with less than a 3.0 and less than 24 MCAT who were admitted to SGU med. They just had to attend mandatory review sessions for their classes apparently. I honestly don't know how they are in med school.....They are not exactly "medical school" material....