Need Help Getting on Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergraduate student at Temple University in Philadelphia. Credit-wise I'm a sophomore due to switching from Sociology to Biological Anthropology. The main reason behind the switch was the fact that I just wasn't happy with what I was learning and my possible career outlook with a B.A. in Sociology. Right now I'm working my way towards graduating with a degree in Biological Anthropology with a concentration on Human Biology.

My first question is do I even stand a chance when it comes to applying to Vet School with a degree in Biological Anthropology?

Also, since I have so drastically changed my direction of education so late into my undergraduate I'm way behind on work/volunteer hours. I would like to be able to specialize in either big cats or primates, large mammalian predators in general are an interest of mine. Does anyone on these boards know of any good resources/opportunities for an undergraduate in the Philadelphia area to get internship/work hours in this field (aside from the Philadelphia Zoo)? I'm sorry to ask but there is an extreme lack of contacts or resources at my university for animal studies. The best I have been able to do is going through the professor which teaches my primatology classes, but even she has a PhD. in Biological Anthropology.

I'm really just trying to get some direction more than anything else. I have had an absolutely infectious love for animals since I was a little kid. I won't lie, I was a chronic underachiever throughout high school and the beginning of my undergraduate, or I wouldn't be at a school like Temple to begin with. I'm extremely motivated to break into the field of veterinary medicine and feel like I'm finally living up to my potential. Just the lack of resources at Temple is making this extremely difficult for me. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My first question is do I even stand a chance when it comes to applying to Vet School with a degree in Biological Anthropology?

Your major doesn't matter for vet school, as long as you take the pre-req's which can be found at aavmc.org.

Also, since I have so drastically changed my direction of education so late into my undergraduate I'm way behind on work/volunteer hours. I would like to be able to specialize in either big cats or primates, large mammalian predators in general are an interest of mine. Does anyone on these boards know of any good resources/opportunities for an undergraduate in the Philadelphia area to get internship/work hours in this field (aside from the Philadelphia Zoo)?

The main thing you need to meet admission requirements is experience working with or shadowing a vet. So you do not have to have all these hours be working with the animals you plan to practice on. In fact, it is best to have some diversity in your experience. Start with your own vet or local practices or join one of the volunteer programs at Penn. For wildlife specific stuff, I don't know about big cats, but there are several amazing wildlife rehab centers near here: Schuyllkill (still can't spell that) Wildlife Center would be a good start. For primate stuff it might be easier to get a research position.

By the way, the zoo medicine field is very small and I don't think there is anyone who works with JUST big cats. There just aren't enough of them to make enough work for one person. So make sure you are ok working with other animals too!

I'm really just trying to get some direction more than anything else. I have had an absolutely infectious love for animals since I was a little kid. I won't lie, I was a chronic underachiever throughout high school and the beginning of my undergraduate, or I wouldn't be at a school like Temple to begin with. I'm extremely motivated to break into the field of veterinary medicine and feel like I'm finally living up to my potential. Just the lack of resources at Temple is making this extremely difficult for me. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Many people don't have much advisor help and you have the advantage of being in a huge city with its own vet school. Make this your passion, start uncovering every opportunity you can, get on the internet and start reading, start emailing and calling about opportunities, and make sure your grades and GRE are going to be competitive.

My first question is do I even stand a chance when it comes to applying to Vet School with a degree in Biological Anthropology? ... I'm really just trying to get some direction more than anything else.
Major doesn't matter as long as you've met the requirements of whatever schools you apply to. So pre-requisites, veterinary experience, good letters of recommendation, good GRE score and GPA, etc.

As far as direction, I would start by finding a way to get veterinary experience. Veterinary medicine isn't for everyone so working in the field is the only way you can really know that it's the right field for you. Contact clinics in your area (home or school) and ask if you can shadow or if they're hiring. See what opportunities there are at Penn. See if there are any wildlife rehabbers or rehab facilities in the area (especially since you're interested in non-domestics). I'm sure someone at Penn/from PA can chime with specific suggestions.

Also:
I would like to be able to specialize in either big cats or primates, large mammalian predators in general are an interest of mine.
Just so you're aware -- there really aren't species-specific 'specialties' when it comes to non-domestic animals. The closest you'll get is working for a sanctuary (most don't employ full-time veterinarians as far as I know), or in a zoo and being involved in your target species' SSP.

ETA: Looks like Bunnity posted basically the same thing as I was typing! :laugh:

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll be doing some research this weekend and begin making calls this week.

I should have worded that "specialty" blurb differently. What I meant to say was that I'd like to develop a level of specialization in exotics/large mammalian predators and be able to take calls for that kind of work while also running a standard small animal practice. I would love to travel a ton but by a certain age I want to have a practice or be working for a program near where I'm going to be living. I had an absentee father growing up and I absolutely refuse to do that to my own children.