NEED HELP! Low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I really need some guidance as to what I should do next. I am so passionate about medicine and cannot see myself doing anything else in life. I am committed to going into medical school, but I am afraid I have ruined my chances.

These are my science grades

freshman year
chemistry 1 and 2 A
chemistry lab 1 and 2 A
Calculus 1 B+
Calculus 2 B

Sophomore year [ transferred to different school]
General Biology 1 C+
bio lab 1 C
Orgo Lab C+
physics 1 B
Physics Lab 1 B
Bio 2 B+
bio 2 lab B+
physics 2 B+
physics lab B
Psych B

Junior Year
ecology A-
genetic B+
genetics lab B
cell bio B-
special topics bio class A-

Senior year
molecular pathogen B
Molecular Genetitcs C-
biochem C+
biochem c+

Organic chem 1 C+
Organic chem 2, I have had to take multiple times. I just can't seem to understand the material and I have been taking the same professor each time and she is very discouraging.
1st try: f
2nd:c-
3rd: D

For right now my plan is to do my own postbacc. I am planning to retake biology, and organic chemistry, microbiology, biochem, and molecular genetics at a community college because it is much more affordable. I plan to finish orgo and bio this summer and hopefully get an a in my classes. From there I was planning on taking upper level bio classes at a university and hopefully apply to med school by the end of next fall.

What do you all think?
Please I know I am in a bad stop right now and I would appreciate it if no one would give any negative comments.

I am trying the best I can and I know I messed up. I have been going through a lot this past year.

I have a lot of volunteer hours and shadowing experience. I have been taking the practice Mcat and have been doing pretty well on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a solid plan in retaking many of the problem classes over at your local CC. When do you plan on applying? Next cycle? Not much could be said until you find out how well you have done in repairing your GPA.

I would like to apply this coming fall, for next year and thank you! Do you think that if I do well in these classes I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a solid plan in retaking many of the problem classes over at your local CC. When do you plan on applying? Next cycle? Not much could be said until you find out how well you have done in repairing your GPA.
I would like to apply this coming fall, for next year and thank you! Do you think that if I do well in these classes I have a chance?

How is your MCAT?

My MCAT is not bad, still have to take it have been working on taking practice exams. My other question would be that I was calculating my gpa and planing my schedule. This summer I would be able to retake bio 101 with the lab, microbiology with lab, organic chem 2 with the lab. I was looking at costs at a four year institution and they were very expensive, so I am thinking of just continuing at community college. So during the fall I would retake Biochem with the lab, organic chemistry 1, anatomy, physiology and a class called intro to human disease.
By the end of the fall semester if everything goes as planned, I have a chance to raise my gpa to a 3.47. My concern is that would it be too late to apply during December and would medical schools look down on the face that I am taking these classes at a local community college?

Lastly, I am taking these classes as a student at large, which means I am taking them, but the grades won't be put on my undergraduate transcript, but on one their own. So how do I put it on the aacomas that these are grade replacements?