Need Help Making Decisions in Preparation for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just finished my sophomore year at my institution. I'm an Econ major so I am required to put less focus on the sciences, but I still want to apply for medical school once I graduate. As I am going to be a junior in the fall I have taken Bio 1/2, and Chem 1/2 in the two years I have been in college. Now since I need to take the MCAT once I finish junior year I have to make a decision for this upcoming school year of what to do with the remaining sciences I need for the MCAT (Orgo and Physics). I kind of don't really want to double up (Take both Physics and Orgo at the same time) and I think that would hurt my GPA some, but do I have to take all four courses to succeed on the MCAT or could I take Physics 1/2 Junior year and take Orgo 1/2 Senior year?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took them together, I didn't have a problem. You will have to study them together on the MCAT, so it makes no difference.

So you would say taking a year of Orgo before the MCAT is required to do well on the test? I rather not take both Physics and Orgo at the same time (Sounds tough, lots of lab), but if I have to I have to.

plenty people take Orgo and Physics together, since a lot of people AP out of the intro to Bio classes. I don't really think its that hard because these aren't memorization classes, so studying for them isn't really that brain intensive. These classes just require you to put in work everyday so that you get into the right mindset. I really think you will do fine, especially if you did well in your Chem and Bio classes. I say go for it since that stuff will be fresh in your mind for MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea ucau, i did phys and orgo together as well... DO IT, trust me. You will be FINE! if you plan to take the MCAT in the end of the year, you need to know these topics well. Do well in the classes in school this way when you study the MCAT everything is a review of what you know. I would think its quite hard to self teach yourself a WHOLE year of any of the MCAT sciences... =/ let alone right before the MCAT

you will need both for the mcat. if you don't take both, you'll have to study independently for the one you didn't take, which in my opinion, is a lot harder to do. good luck!