Need help on how to repair GPA & low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haitimade_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am so confused on whether to retake undergraduate classes at a community college, or just apply for a post bac program. I really want to be a physician and can't see myself doing anything else but serving patients especially underserved populations. My stats are: African American with 2.84 Cumulative GPA with a horrendous MCAT of 484. I have about 3,000 hours working as a medical assistant & about 2100 hours working as a Nursing Assistant & 740 shadowing hours. I also volunteered in the ER for a while & has done 2 medical trips to Haiti. My grades suffered due to having to work to help support myself & family plus from taking care of my schizophrenic uncle which I have mentioned in my personal statement. I am planning on retaking the MCAT in January 2018 or March. So should I just retake classes to boost GPA or do a post bac? Or can a high MCAT compensate for my low gpa with my stats for DO or MD or Carribean? I'm so sad that AACOMAS doesn't have grade replacement anymore, now my chances are equally slim for both DO & MD. This is my first time posting by the way, thanks in advance for any advice guys

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus would be boost your GPA (post bac or SMP) and kill the MCAT. In your situation killing an SMP program along with a high MCAT score should do the trick. Don't take the MCAT unless you are READY, as in taking multiple full length exams and consistently scoring 500+. On the bright side you got some good clinical exposure and ECs. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest you to take a whole year in postbacc and at least a summer working just on MCAT. Dunno about retake policies though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest that you spend Spring 2018, Fall 2018, and Spring 2019 retaking classes at your local JC/State school. You need to bring that GPA up. From the sounds of it, I do not know if your current life style will allow you the time commitment that is needed for a traditional post-bacc or SMP. Your ECs are legit. No doubt! I would then begin studying for the MCAT Jan/Feb of 2019 and take it in May or SUPER early June of 2019. Keep grindin!

Status
Not open for further replies.