Need help on job choices!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capitalsoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow members,
I have a dilemma I have been struggling with for several months now, and was hoping for some advice.

I am currently in a position with a private practice and have been working here for just over 2 years. This is my second position and I wanted it to be my last. I took it initially because it was a much better commute from where I live, but took a substantial paycut in the process - almost 34%, from my previous position which was employed. The current position is a partnership track so my thought was after about 2-3 years I would make partner and my income would be close to before, with a possible higher potential in the future. Also, the prior commute was killing me, it took twice as long in heavy traffic and definitely took its toll. So, what's the issue then, you say?

Well, after 2 years I feel like I am losing interest in the job. When I initially took it, I liked my colleagues (it is a group of 6 incl. myself), the location obviously being in close proximity, and it seemed like a better overall opportunity with a higher ceiling. Compared with my previous position, the work seemed more interesting as well in that I would be doing more "real" cardiology both inpt and out, whereas before I felt I was in a boutique practice treating only outpts and was getting extremely bored. But it is starting to become stale and I surprisingly feel limited in what opportunities are available to me aside from pure clinical work. Perhaps this will charge after becoming a partner but part of me wonders if I really even want to - I am not sure if I really care about running a business. In addition to the above reasons, the base salary of my current job leaves a lot to be desired..lets just say it is well below market value, and I anticipated making up some of this difference by receiving production bonuses, but these have been relatively sparse, if at all.

Recently I have the opportunity to take another position which is about 60 miles and 60 minutes (no traffic) for a hospital employed position which will essentially double my current salary immediately with much better fringe benefits. My current position is about a 25 minute commute. This new position is mostly inpatient noninvasive and I do do some invasive but not interventional work such as diagnostic caths which would be nice to continue doing but is not a game breaker if I can't.

Needless to say, I am tempted to jump ship, but am afraid I am making a mistake to go after 2 years of blood, sweat, and tears in my current position and I am close to partnership in about a year. Also, the 60 minute commute concerns me - how long would I be able to do it? No traffic free flowing certainly makes it better, but still.

Not sure what to do and seek some sage advice, thank you for listening..

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure I have much useful to offer but I feel your pain. Is there a chance that something similar (to this new employed position that is open 60 minutes away) will open up in the next couple of years closer to where you currently live. Can you feasibly move to live/be closer to this new job, if you take that job and things are going well after a year or so. Do you have a spouse or kids (or a live in significant other), such that the long time spent commuting is going to affect your and their lives substantially? Is there something you can do/change in your current job to make it more interesting to you and/or more lucrative?