Need help on pCAT material.

Started by miceheart
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miceheart

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys:

Feels like you guys have lots of experience on study the pCAT. I finished my college around 6 years ago and pretty much forget all my chemistry, biology and some of my calculus. Also I finished my college an another country not in US. Therefore, I am wondering except KAPLAN review book is there any other detail text book that I can look into on chemistry and calculus? I already registered on Oct pCAT, hopefully I have enough time.

Thanks
 
miceheart said:
Hi guys:

Feels like you guys have lots of experience on study the pCAT. I finished my college around 6 years ago and pretty much forget all my chemistry, biology and some of my calculus. Also I finished my college an another country not in US. Therefore, I am wondering except KAPLAN review book is there any other detail text book that I can look into on chemistry and calculus? I already registered on Oct pCAT, hopefully I have enough time.

Thanks

Kaplan is good material. read it thoroughly and anwer the questions. I used TopScore Pro which is 3 complete PCAT testlike questions. The questions are much harder than actual PCAT but at least it wakes you up to work on your weak points.

Work on your time managment (that's what PCAT is about--imagine ~60 questions for 30 mins = 30sec/question)

Oct PCAT is very competitive so if you are not in school at the moment, give PCAT studies 101% and you are guaranteed a 90%ile or up.

:luck:
 
Even if you took chemistry and calculus in a different country, the same fundamentals should have been covered, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I would suggest going to your local bookstore and flipping through the books they offer on the subjects that you feel like you need to brush up on. Pick the one that suits you the best and review from that. While the Kaplan book does a good job of covering all the bases, I wouldn't recommend reading the entire thing since it goes much more into details that are not tested on the PCAT. Of course, if you end up working through the entire study guide anyway, I'd say that you're well on your way to an excellent PCAT score :laugh:
 
:meanie: Thanks for all your advise. I think one thing I really need to work on is to remeber all the word for all the chemistry which turn out to be a big challenge to me.

I will go through the bookstore and see which one suit me best. Thanks a lot.

aya01 said:
Even if you took chemistry and calculus in a different country, the same fundamentals should have been covered, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I would suggest going to your local bookstore and flipping through the books they offer on the subjects that you feel like you need to brush up on. Pick the one that suits you the best and review from that. While the Kaplan book does a good job of covering all the bases, I wouldn't recommend reading the entire thing since it goes much more into details that are not tested on the PCAT. Of course, if you end up working through the entire study guide anyway, I'd say that you're well on your way to an excellent PCAT score :laugh: