Need help on Personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, future dentists!! I'm starting to write my personal statement. Can you guys give me some advices on how to start? I'm kinda of new here. Really need help.Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would start out by writing in bullet points or keywords of why you want to be a dentist. From there, create an outline of what events you want to talk about and finally link them together to form a rough draft. Afterwards, have people with a solid foundation in English writing to edit your paper and there you have your final draft.

I found what worked for me was to start the essay by using a captivating story (dental related) to catch the attention of the reader. Probably the worse thing to do is start off boring, that'll fuel disinterest in the rest of the essay.

I agree. Have a friend and family member read through it to catch the more obvious mistakes. Then have an english professor read it over to work with you on what will make or break your essay. You don't want him to get caught up on the spelling and grammer issues; save that for your family to correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
basically you want to cover why you want to be a dentist (duh!), and then talk about what qualities you have or things you've done to prepare yourself for dentistry. then say why those qualities/things you've learned are necessary to become a great dentist.