Need help on Post Bac decision

Started by zero82686
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zero82686

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear students,

I'm struggling to decide which post-bac program is suited for me. Looking at many posts on SDN, I concluded that I should improve my undergraduate gpa (pre-health post bac) or do a SMP.


My stats:

Undergraduate (California): 2009, B.S. Biochemistry, 3.3 sci, 3.4 non-sci, 3.3 overall

Graduate: 2011, M.S. Biology, research based, 3.8 sci. Only three graduate classes taken. Grade is based on research.

MCAT: 24 (6/2010), 27 (9/2010), retake in scheduled for 5/2011. I WILL improve my MCAT score >30.

Setting aside extracurricular activities, I have weak academics (and test score...). I considered improving my undergraduate gpa by applying to programs such as UPENN special studies. But, I calculated that I need 14 A's to get to 3.5.

SMP offers a good opportunity to show my ability to succeed in medical school. However, I'm going to get a Master's degree...



I WANT to get into allopathic schools in the US. But, my GPA and test scores are fairly low. What should I do? Try to improve my undergraduate GPA or should I forget about it and apply for the SMP?


I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.