Need help picking schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

not respect

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far this is my list (copied from my MDApps):

Case Western Reserve University (MD/PhD)

Columbia University (MD)

Duke University (MD/PhD): "Definitely will apply MD/PhD to here, in BME. I think this is my top choice school"

Georgetown University (MD): "I think their MD/PhD program isn't MSTP so I'd just go for the MD"

Harvard University (MD)

Johns Hopkins University (MD)

Mayo Medical School (MD): "I heard that Mayo provides a lot of aid, so I could probably just do MD"

Stanford University (MD)

University of California, San Diego (MD/PhD): "In neuroscience, I hear their program is really nice"

University of California, San Francisco (MD)

University of Chicago (MD)

University of Pennsylvania (MD)

Washington University in St. Louis (MD)

So basically, I need help in picking schools to apply for, and also whether I should apply MD/PhD for them (and if you know, what department is strong in each school). I am definitely gonna do research, and I know a PhD would help me a lot. Also though in the long run the money evens out I heard, my parents really dislike debt so I know they would really appreciate if I got into an MD/PhD. But since my research isn't that strong, I don't wanna screw myself out of the really highly ranked med schools, so that's why I'm applying mixed like that.

Anyway, I tried looking on US News/World Report but it only helps so much :p and let me know if I missed any too. Like for example, University of Washington is ranked pretty high for med school, but I have no idea what departments are good (since it seems I'd have to apply MD/PhD to get in). Oh yeah, I'm poor so if you know some bad stuff about a school, then let me know!! :)

Oh and another thing, I heard of all these schools that only Duke is non-rolling, but if any other ones are then tell me about those too.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply more broadly. Search "OnlyNeedOneYes" and you'll see why I say this.

Hmm it seems weird that he was rejected post-secondary from so many schools, I wonder what was wrong? Maybe he had an alcohol violation or something. But anyway, I don't wanna speculate. So I should add Vanderbilt, Baylor, UW, Michigan, Pitt, and Northwestern maybe? Besides Northwestern, all those schools have really easy secondaries, but I (at least hope) I won't get rejected pre-secondary, and applying to like 20 schools would cost me around $2000 with the primary+secondary fee. Not to mention the interview costs! (I mean I hope I get an interview at most of these places, since besides my SLIGHT weakness in the research, I have good recs hopefully, good essays, and above average numbers). So I kind of figured, if I can only go to so many interviews, might as well just aply to those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm it seems weird that he was rejected post-secondary from so many schools, I wonder what was wrong? Maybe he had an alcohol violation or something. But anyway, I don't wanna speculate. So I should add Vanderbilt, Baylor, UW, Michigan, Pitt, and Northwestern maybe? Besides Northwestern, all those schools have really easy secondaries, but I (at least hope) I won't get rejected pre-secondary, and applying to like 20 schools would cost me around $2000 with the primary+secondary fee. Not to mention the interview costs! (I mean I hope I get an interview at most of these places, since besides my SLIGHT weakness in the research, I have good recs hopefully, good essays, and above average numbers). So I kind of figured, if I can only go to so many interviews, might as well just aply to those schools.

Adding Vandy, Baylor, UW, Mich, Pitt and NW isn't exactly applying broadly. Applying broadly means dipping out of the top 30.

Adding Vandy, Baylor, UW, Mich, Pitt and NW isn't exactly applying broadly. Applying broadly means dipping out of the top 30.

Agree absolutely. OP your ECs are somewhat below average fro many of the programs you listed, so you need a much more heterogeneous list.

Beware of your lack of clinical exposure.

You didnt list what random volunteering is in your mdapps....but regardless unless some moer clinical stuff falls under that you dont have a lot of exposure which could hurt. Obvisouly your gpa and mcat are amazing but at top schools (Which is all you have even added) that wont be enough you need more. Im not saying you wont get in or something, im sure even if you didnt add any more schools youd have a good shot at getting in...but you dont wanna apply more then once and there are lots of people every year like onlyneedoneyes who have amazing stats but for some reason dont get in, or have to pray someone gets them off the waitlist because they only applied to top 30 schools. Id add some more "middle" tier schools so to speak, just maybe 5 max if you can afford it.

Thanks for all the replies! I just wanna clarify a little bit though:

1) I haven't had that much clinical exposure because of my age, I was only able to work in the Medical Center after I was 18, which I have since then (just turned 19). I mean, I hope the admissions people will understand, it's really difficult!

2) If I don't get into a med school I'd really want to go to, it's not the end of the world for me. I can always apply to PhD programs, or take some time off and go to industry. Though medicine has always been my dream, if it's really that hard and that expensive to get accepted into a school I figure maybe I'm just not cut out for it. Thus, I've only applied to schools I consider my top choices.

3) My ECs are pretty unique so I didn't want to share them. I don't really do ECs for medical school but just to explore some and to do community service to help people, so it's not as neat and ordered as a lot of people's are. But I think they are really memorable so I don't think they will cripple me that much.

That's why I asked pretty specific questions, like if I missed anything really good or a unique program that would fit me. I guess it's kind of strange posting on the "what are my chances" forum when I really don't care that much about the chances. I just want to know the most interesting programs basically. But I know all your responses are very valid too, and my application could definitely be stronger (and I've had a lot of personal issues so I know I could have had the time to do a lot more), so thanks for commenting. I hope some people have insight into the programs though.