Need Help: Reapplicant advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfgiants415

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I applied last cycle to 25 schools, and strangely received one interview at UCLA (probably won't get in).

Mistakes: 1) turning in secondaries in September because I was studying abroad and got back late
2) Applying mostly to medium tier schools.

Questions:
1) I know my MCAT is low (28), but I'm hesitant to take new MCAT because I may do worse and hurt my already slim chances. Should I retake the MCAT? I am studying currently for the new MCAT and may take the test and see how I feel during the test and deciding whether or not to void at the end. I would be taking it next month in June.
2) Do I have a shot with MD schools (I prefer MD), but would be okay with DO and if so what MD/DO schools do you recommend me applying to?

The only thing that has changed in my application is getting hired where I volunteer and the increased duties/responsibilities. I also currently working part time as a cashier at a store to support myself since I come from a low income family. I plan to rewrite my essays and make them stronger. I will also add a letter from where I work now.

3) How else can I improve my application?

Stats: 3.62c, 28 mcat
Live in California and went to a UC
Extra Curricular
Currently: EKG technician (paid) was formerly volunteer just got hired, but volunteered 1.5 yrs 150 hrs
Cashier at a store (2 YR)
Past: Research: basic duties (dish washing, pcr, cell cultures) no publish, 2 yrs 120 hrs
School med club: 2 yrs
School clinic 1 yr
Job as cashier at school 1 yr
Homeless shelter volunteer 50 hours

Members don't see this ad.

Probably best to go DO. MD programs are going to be a bit out of your reach unless you retake the MCAT and excel on it (new test equivalent of 32-33.) I don't really have experience with what schools are best, but it's in your best interest to apply broadly on AACOMAS. Just do your research and apply to those places you could actually picture yourself going. Also, state schools and newer MD schools--you're not completely out of the game!