need help switching into anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boki7564

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a a PGY-2 interested in switching out of my current position and into anesthesia. I talked with the PD of the anesthesiology department here, and after looking through all of my application materials, he told me that I would be a good candidate. I know that I'm ridiculously late to find a CA-1 position for 2008 (I've already done my intern year), but does anyone have suggestions for how to go about looking for potential spots, including trying to get in outside the match? I'm a little lost and hesitant to talk to anyone regarding my decision. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your position a year ago (although I was only a PGY-1) and was able to nab an out-of-match CA-1 position starting in July 2008. Definitely send your CV out to many programs as possible and make phone calls asking if there are any CA-1 openings (these occur throughout the year, so you might be able to grab one for July 2008). When you do this, you'll find out that there are a lot more spots than you originally thought. I don't know where your regional preferences lie, but I think UT Southwestern is still accepting apps for CA-1's in July 2008 and possibly January 2009. Of course, keep close ties with the PD who was gracious enough to review your application as he can provide even more sage advice down the road.....OR A JOB!!! Besides you're a MudPhud, so milk it for what's worth. GOOD LUCK!!

I heard Kentucky was looking for a CA1 for next year, but not sure if it's accurate, or if they still are. Might be worth a phone call anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give Rush a call. They are always looking for highly qualified folks leaving previous disciplines. Sherri Sachs is the secretary. I might be the dude that interviews ya. Well, at least the guy that takes you out for lunch.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all who replied and offered encouragement and good advice. It's a little scary switching, but at least I can get this process started since I know I'm not in the right program for me. I really appreciate everyone's help!!

I was in a similar position, and fortunately obtained a position outside of the match. If you're an MD/PhD, then anesthesiology is unquestionably a perfect career choice, especially if you'd like to continue research and do some clinical work too. Just my opinion of course. I encourage sending emails directly to department chairs and to program directors of universities having a strong commitment to building up research cores within their departments. Finding out who they are is the challenge. I read that Univ. of Washington holds residency positions out of the match for people just like you, but I don't know the details. One important point: hurry, hurry, hurry.

Please feel free to send me a personal message for more details.

Cheers.

I have seen people at our program switch and then start "out of sequence" in January. I am not a program director so I don't know the details of when that sort of opportunity is offered.

Believe me, you will never regret switching to the best specialty in medicine.