Need help-trying to get back into residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parm87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
( I hope I don't get chewed out here :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::() So here goes, I am a foreign medical graduate, passed USMLEs with okay scores. Got into the residency of my choice, had some hiccups in the beginning- failed July August rotations, got placed on remediation. However, continued to work my ass off and did well on rest of the rotations, basically, everyone saw how well I did and noticed a stark difference.

During this time, I was married and my SO ( significant other) was also looking for residency. I spoke with the chairman and rest of the committee who were impressed enough with me at that time, gave my SO an interview and eventually we both were in the same program, Me as a senior and SO as my intern. Basically, life seemed set at that point, but the universe had a totally different plan :(

My SO and I were always having problems, so much so in spite of our best efforts, there were even physical altercations ( I know, I am not proud of this). Everything was always at home nothing ever happened at work until one day my SO basically took my phone while I was doing a very intensive rotation and this could have led to potential patient harm. They were thinking I was sleeping around and wanted to do their investigation. This type of behavior (potential patient harm, not the accusation) was crossing the line for me. After some serious thinking (I think I should have discussed with someone else) I decided to speak with PD and tell them what really happened. PD seemed very understanding and they said they will speak the other party ( my SO) involved.

They spoke and apparently put my SO on suspension until further notice. PD and the DEAN OF GME spoke with my SO. During their discussions, my SO mentioned about the physical altercations and said they acted out at work because of all the emotional stress and physical altercations at home (basically saying I was violent). PD and GME thought there might be something called TITLE IX violation( yeah.. look this up... historically used for sexual misconduct now even includes domestic problems).

So, basically, tables were turned on me. Even though I was the person who brought up this to PD's attention I was put on administrative leave until they conduct further investigation, which included SO and me interviewing separately.
Weeks turned into months and the final result was something really unexpected. We BOTH were found in violation of this TITLE IX, even though my SO was not even accused party. I said oh perfect finally time to go back to work, but when I sat down with the dean and PD, they recommended I should resign from my position, either that or they will put sanctions that could include termination from the Program.

I asked, again and again, what do the sanctions include, but PD simply said, let's focus more on termination part. We ( my SO and I ) were given only hand full of days, I spoke with whomever I could and that's when a TITLE IX expert told me, its unlikely they will fire one of you, but there still is a likelihood of them terminating both of you.

One thing I didn't mention, my SO and I have kids together. So, if we both were to lose our jobs, that would have been really bad:(. So after a lot of contemplation, I spoke with the PD and gave in my resignation letter. PD accepted and we discussed if they can consider keeping my SO at least for the sake of our kids, they listened and allowed my SO to continue with residency training. I am pretty sure there were some or

After resignation, the time came to get on the grind and get back into a program who would take me. I was able to get 4 LORs plus 'letter of good standing' from the PD. Reason I put letter of good standing quote is, it basically explains what happened during my time there- including my failed rotations ( with no explanation of which months which were July and August and how I and only I was found to be in violation of TILE IX secondary to domestic violence which led me to resign, basically no mention of how I was as a resident overall and what the PD thought about me, nothing even though I had decent evaluations). Applied through the match with 5-6 IVs and went unmatched. Bunch PL2s have opened up since and have told me again and again that we cannot hire someone who had to leave secondary to professionalism issues.

Since that time been working as an Assitant physician with doctors here and there, and trying to survive on menial jobs. My question for anyone who cares to answer is, I have done 20 months of training, is there a way I can get a GP license or maybe a research gig based on what my file looks like?

Any help will be appreciated, ( and please be nice, been going through a lot).

Members don't see this ad.

( I hope I don't get chewed out here :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::() So here goes, I am a foreign medical graduate, passed USMLEs with okay scores. Got into the residency of my choice, had some hiccups in the beginning- failed July August rotations, got placed on remediation. However, continued to work my ass off and did well on rest of the rotations, basically, everyone saw how well I did and noticed a stark difference.

During this time, I was married and my SO ( significant other) was also looking for residency. I spoke with the chairman and rest of the committee who were impressed enough with me at that time, gave my SO an interview and eventually we both were in the same program, Me as a senior and SO as my intern. Basically, life seemed set at that point, but the universe had a totally different plan :(

My SO and I were always having problems, so much so in spite of our best efforts, there were even physical altercations ( I know, I am not proud of this). Everything was always at home nothing ever happened at work until one day my SO basically took my phone while I was doing a very intensive rotation and this could have led to potential patient harm. They were thinking I was sleeping around and wanted to do their investigation. This type of behavior (potential patient harm, not the accusation) was crossing the line for me. After some serious thinking (I think I should have discussed with someone else) I decided to speak with PD and tell them what really happened. PD seemed very understanding and they said they will speak the other party ( my SO) involved.

They spoke and apparently put my SO on suspension until further notice. PD and the DEAN OF GME spoke with my SO. During their discussions, my SO mentioned about the physical altercations and said they acted out at work because of all the emotional stress and physical altercations at home (basically saying I was violent). PD and GME thought there might be something called TITLE IX violation( yeah.. look this up... historically used for sexual misconduct now even includes domestic problems).

So, basically, tables were turned on me. Even though I was the person who brought up this to PD's attention I was put on administrative leave until they conduct further investigation, which included SO and me interviewing separately.
Weeks turned into months and the final result was something really unexpected. We BOTH were found in violation of this TITLE IX, even though my SO was not even accused party. I said oh perfect finally time to go back to work, but when I sat down with the dean and PD, they recommended I should resign from my position, either that or they will put sanctions that could include termination from the Program.

I asked, again and again, what do the sanctions include, but PD simply said, let's focus more on termination part. We ( my SO and I ) were given only hand full of days, I spoke with whomever I could and that's when a TITLE IX expert told me, its unlikely they will fire one of you, but there still is a likelihood of them terminating both of you.

One thing I didn't mention, my SO and I have kids together. So, if we both were to lose our jobs, that would have been really bad:(. So after a lot of contemplation, I spoke with the PD and gave in my resignation letter. PD accepted and we discussed if they can consider keeping my SO at least for the sake of our kids, they listened and allowed my SO to continue with residency training. I am pretty sure there were some or

After resignation, the time came to get on the grind and get back into a program who would take me. I was able to get 4 LORs plus 'letter of good standing' from the PD. Reason I put letter of good standing quote is, it basically explains what happened during my time there- including my failed rotations ( with no explanation of which months which were July and August and how I and only I was found to be in violation of TILE IX secondary to domestic violence which led me to resign, basically no mention of how I was as a resident overall and what the PD thought about me, nothing even though I had decent evaluations). Applied through the match with 5-6 IVs and went unmatched. Bunch PL2s have opened up since and have told me again and again that we cannot hire someone who had to leave secondary to professionalism issues.

Since that time been working as an Assitant physician with doctors here and there, and trying to survive on menial jobs. My question for anyone who cares to answer is, I have done 20 months of training, is there a way I can get a GP license or maybe a research gig based on what my file looks like?

Any help will be appreciated, ( and please be nice, been going through a lot).

This story sounded vaguely familiar (as in, title IX has basically only ever come up once on this forum before), and a little google fu brought up this post from last year. The original post has been nuked, but you can see it in the quotes and it's a shockingly similar situation. There's some decent general advice in there about the importance of legal counsel, but that may be a bit too late for you.

As to specific advice for your situation, you're fairly limited in your options. You have 20 months of training, which, as an IMG, is not enough to get a permanent license in any state except possibly Georgia (there's a list of acceptable schools where some IMGs can get a license after 1 year). Your only other option if you want to work anywhere within the field of medicine is to find another program to take you but based on your experience in the match, it's looking pretty grim.

Edit: And per @BoardingDoc , it looks like the two posts are about the same person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Oh, how about any pharma jobs or if possible military?

This story sounded vaguely familiar (as in, title IX has basically only ever come up once on this forum before), and a little google fu brought up this post from last year.
Clearly the same person. Aside from the conspicuous capitalization of TITLE IX, both parm87 and rambo91 (previous poster) created their account on 6-24-17.

Reactions: 1 user
As an FMG, you are cooked unless your former PD helps you out. Best bet is to do research at an FMG friendly place and get someone to vouch for you.

Yea, that's exactly what I am doing. Got a research at a medium-large sized university( AMG friendly though) in the same specialty. I will try to beg my PD to maybe write another letter. Since rest of the program gave me decent letters I will try to change her mind. Lets see. Thank you for your input though.

Hello folks, another question. So, I was talking with my friend and he mentioned that I still might eligible for a GP license in certain states. See Its true that I completed 20 months of residency training, that was for the credits I received since I was initially placed on remediation. However, when the title IX process was taking place, I was put on administrative leave. That took about 1.5 months and eventually I resigned in July last year. So I was on university payroll and enrolled in residency for 2 years.

My question is since I was on the payroll for 2 years, do you guys think there is a chance that boards might consider that as 2 years of residency training? Even though I was home for 1.5 months. I spoke with specialty board and they stated they allow people to graduate with up to 3 months of gap during residency on time. I spoke with one state of Indiana, they were not sure.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Hello folks, another question. So, I was talking with my friend and he mentioned that I still might eligible for a GP license in certain states. See Its true that I completed 20 months of residency training, that was for the credits I received since I was initially placed on remediation. However, when the title IX process was taking place, I was put on administrative leave. That took about 1.5 months and eventually I resigned in July last year. So I was on university payroll and enrolled in residency for 2 years.

My question is since I was on the payroll for 2 years, do you guys think there is a chance that boards might consider that as 2 years of residency training? Even though I was home for 1.5 months. I spoke with specialty board and they stated they allow people to graduate with up to 3 months of gap during residency on time. I spoke with one state of Indiana, they were not sure.

Any help will be really appreciated.
When you apply for a license, they will have you send a form to your former residency program that asks them to certify you completed X months (which in the case of IMGs in every state other than Georgia is 24-36 months) of residency training in good standing. If your former program does not answer in the affirmative, you will not get a license. Period.

Oh, but are they asking for firm credits or just time spent in residency? I guess it will say on the form?? thanks for reaching out.

Oh, but are they asking for firm credits or just time spent in residency? I guess it will say on the form?? thanks for reaching out.
It doesn't really matter. Whatever your former PD thinks is the appropriate answer is what s/he will write.

Reactions: 2 users
They ask for all kinds of things, including things like whether you got credit for all claimed months of training, whether you were ever disciplined, whether you were ever on probation, etc. They all tend to ask for any discrepancies or "yes" answers to be answered, in full, with a letter of explanation. From the program. Sent directly to the licensing board.

There are 50 states and 6 territories with 70-something licensing boards between them (some states have a separate one for DOs, some don't) so you'd have to look at the forms in your particular state of interest to see the specifics.

They ask for all kinds of things, including things like whether you got credit for all claimed months of training, whether you were ever disciplined, whether you were ever on probation, etc. They all tend to ask for any discrepancies or "yes" answers to be answered, in full, with a letter of explanation. From the program. Sent directly to the licensing board.

There are 50 states and 6 territories with 70-something licensing boards between them (some states have a separate one for DOs, some don't) so you'd have to look at the forms in your particular state of interest to see the specifics.
Thanks!! I will call and find out.