Need Help: TSU (TX) vs St Joseph (CT) vs ULM (LA)

Started by ccn042000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ccn042000

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas Southern University (have 3 days to respond as of today just got letter)
- 4 year program ( I am going to inquire if summer school is an option. Honestly it if is this decision will be cake, but i doubt it).

- tutition hell cheap---possibly one of the cheapest pharm schools in the nation according to last year's tuition rates (which was $6022 for 18 credit hrs per semester). They have not posted this years tuition. So give or take on tuition and fees ALONE----50k.

- Some of the rumors in regards to accreditation and the standard of academia have been quite off putting. But the school's board passing rate has been above 90% in the past 3 years. Can any TSU pharm students dispell any of these rumors???

- Close to home. From Dallas. I tend to get home sick.

St Joseph College of Pharmacy
Disclaimer: I have not been accepted as of yet, but I would be extremely surprised if I didn't. I felt as though I bombed the TSU interview with flying colors. *shrug* so I guess you never know how others may perceive you. But I felt so relaxed confident with my essay, math test and interview. I liked the whole ambiance of the school. It's brand new----this will be its first class.

- 3 years
-COST HELLACIOUS: 40K per year
- I hate snow...and this past winter was a beast for CT...seeing a couple feet of snow....versus the couple of inches we may get in Texas once or twice a year.
- I think my mood/personality is definitely affected by seasons/weather.
-small classes---class will be 68 students. A lot of Individual attention!
-They have an amazing test system program. Where you take 1 test every other friday. Take test by yourself first go round. Given a second opportunity to take exam as a group (they divide class in study groups..i guess). If you score higher as a group--they add 5 pts to your exam. Keep in mind passing is 84%. They work on Pass/Fail system. 90% and above is honors. If with the bonus points you are still not passing--given a third opportunity to take exam again on your own the following week. If by the third time...it's still a no pass given a fourth and final opportunity to pass at the end of semester. TALK about full proof pass after all those chances!??!?!
-But hey if I don't get in I guess my choice will be that much easier.

University of Louisiana at Monroe ( I have 10 days from today to make decision)
A lot of you may be ...ULM, what? who? My words exactly. But apparently they liked me enough to see past the fact I never turned in a supplemental app to give me an interview and acceptance.
-out of state tuition for first year will 27k...unless I can devise a loop hole. Otherwise tuition is 15k for instate thereafter.
-Monroe seems to be in the boondocks from the impression I was given.
-program is clinically based..b/c I am definitely bored with retail.
- diversity seems to be lacking....as far as culturally and ethnicities...I never thought it would be bother me but I guess it does.
- Monroe is about 5-6 hrs from home...they have an airport so i guess it someone civilized. I have heard of some schools where the nearest airport is 2 to 3 hrs away..yikes!
-I definitely comfortable in the interview and I know if i go there I will get a good education.

I applied to other schools and waiting for interview invites but since I have pending deadlines already I may decline those interviews if they do come.
 
Texas Southern University (have 3 days to respond as of today just got letter)
- 4 year program ( I am going to inquire if summer school is an option. Honestly it if is this decision will be cake, but i doubt it).

- tutition hell cheap---possibly one of the cheapest pharm schools in the nation according to last year's tuition rates (which was $6022 for 18 credit hrs per semester). They have not posted this years tuition. So give or take on tuition and fees ALONE----50k.

- Some of the rumors in regards to accreditation and the standard of academia have been quite off putting. But the school's board passing rate has been above 90% in the past 3 years. Can any TSU pharm students dispell any of these rumors???

- Close to home. From Dallas. I tend to get home sick.

St Joseph College of Pharmacy
Disclaimer: I have not been accepted as of yet, but I would be extremely surprised if I didn't. I felt as though I bombed the TSU interview with flying colors. *shrug* so I guess you never know how others may perceive you. But I felt so relaxed confident with my essay, math test and interview. I liked the whole ambiance of the school. It's brand new----this will be its first class.

- 3 years
-COST HELLACIOUS: 40K per year
- I hate snow...and this past winter was a beast for CT...seeing a couple feet of snow....versus the couple of inches we may get in Texas once or twice a year.
- I think my mood/personality is definitely affected by seasons/weather.
-small classes---class will be 68 students. A lot of Individual attention!
-They have an amazing test system program. Where you take 1 test every other friday. Take test by yourself first go round. Given a second opportunity to take exam as a group (they divide class in study groups..i guess). If you score higher as a group--they add 5 pts to your exam. Keep in mind passing is 84%. They work on Pass/Fail system. 90% and above is honors. If with the bonus points you are still not passing--given a third opportunity to take exam again on your own the following week. If by the third time...it's still a no pass given a fourth and final opportunity to pass at the end of semester. TALK about full proof pass after all those chances!??!?!
-But hey if I don't get in I guess my choice will be that much easier.

University of Louisiana at Monroe ( I have 10 days from today to make decision)
A lot of you may be ...ULM, what? who? My words exactly. But apparently they liked me enough to see past the fact I never turned in a supplemental app to give me an interview and acceptance.
-out of state tuition for first year will 27k...unless I can devise a loop hole. Otherwise tuition is 15k for instate thereafter.
-Monroe seems to be in the boondocks from the impression I was given.
-program is clinically based..b/c I am definitely bored with retail.
- diversity seems to be lacking....as far as culturally and ethnicities...I never thought it would be bother me but I guess it does.
- Monroe is about 5-6 hrs from home...they have an airport so i guess it someone civilized. I have heard of some schools where the nearest airport is 2 to 3 hrs away..yikes!
-I definitely comfortable in the interview and I know if i go there I will get a good education.

I applied to other schools and waiting for interview invites but since I have pending deadlines already I may decline those interviews if they do come.

Hi, I attend TSU you now and will be in the program this upcoming fall and starting the summer academy program this summer. The school is excellent in my opinion and of course tuition is dirt cheap for such a quality education which is wonderful since many would have to take out loans to pay for school. I believe you will benefit from the intimate space that is between the professor and student. TSU allows you to build a solid relationship with the faculty and to utilize their services to the fullest. I am not being biased towards other schools but I do know that TSU is a great place to continue your education in pharmacy. The rumors also surface from many of TSU's competitors...TSU is moving up in the ranks because the standards are rising and many other schools see this and want to downplay on TSU's progress in many ways. This rumors are obviously not true and TSU stands firm in it's accreditation.