Need help understanding Virginia's Timelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CANTOMURICA

Reaction score
Hey guys! :)

I'm a Canadian wanting to apply to U of Virginia's med school. I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of deadlines of when applications open and when they close? I'm used to the Canadian system where we usually apply to schools around this time and get a reply on whether we are admitted or in the Spring. I went on the website but I couldn't understand the deadlines there and what they meant. I'm looking to gain an entry for Fall 2019 in case that helps. Please if anyone could let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellow Canadians, American app opens in June 1 (AMCAS - akin to OMSAS) and associated secondary usually starts getting emailed around July 1st. This means UVA's (and all other med schools in US)'s been good two to three months into their application cycle, with interviews starting July/August. Most US schools operate on a rolling basis - essentially first come first served. Applying now for fall 2019 matriculation is still possible, but extremely difficult, especially as an international status. I don't recommend you going for this cycle.

Thank you for replying!

So if I were to take my chances and apply now, when would interviews be conducted (seeing that it operates on a rolling basis)? I would imagine I'd need to complete the application asap to get it in before September ends. @seren1051

@CANTOMURICA

I echo the sentiment that you shouldn't apply this year and toughen up your application for entry into the med school Fall 2020. The reason being is that even if you were able to submit the primary TODAY, it would still probably take 3-4 weeks to verify (although don't quote me because I've never submitted my primary this late).

This means that you will be eligible for secondaries around October. Even if you are complete when they come with a hopeful deadline of the end of October, you will most likely be reviewed much later on (beyond thanksgiving). At this point, most likely, schools will only have interview spots open during Jan/Feb when they are finishing up their cycle.

This is the basic reason, but the BIGGER reason is that there is a bias against re-applicants. They want to see TANGIBLE growth each time that you apply. Especially because you are an international applicant, you might want to submit under the best conditions to maximize your chances. (I'm going to assume that you have a more than stellar GPA and MCAT as well + great EC and yada yada).

I'm not saying you have zero chance of getting in this cycle. I'm just pointing out that you're taking an unnecessary risk that may make it much harder in the long run.