Need help!!!! Very Urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miracle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who could help me make a decision. I currently just obtained my PH.D in chemistry. I was offered a faculty position at St. James medical school (undergrad professor), not that a searched but they emailed me (I post my resume on the web). Also, I was offered numerous of teaching faculty positions at many well known university here in America and many research labatories. I never thougt about going to Saint James Medical school to teach but then I made a deal that I would teach only if I was paid and could attend their for free. Surprisely, I was offered to teach with pay and a full scholorship to attend their medical school. I need opinions!!! Do you think this is a good offered? Would you go? Saint James is a fairly new school. I do not know the reputation of this school. I have search but have not found too much info. Everything is about Ross and Saba.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In your attempt to become a practicing MD you will face many hurdles if you attend this school. You will not be permitted to practice in many states, and even then most likely only in FM or IM. I don't know what the teaching is like at this school, but I'd be prepared to be a self-motivated learner...I wouldn't rely on this school to teach you everything you need to know...plus clinicals will force you to move around a lot. If you want an academic teaching position, I suggest staying in the US. If you really want to be an MD and practice FM or IM, consider where you'd be allowed to practice and take things from there. Remember, these restrictions will be in place for you for your entire career. Bottom line, I would do it only if you REALLY feel drawn to medicine as a career.

I will not go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by miracle
For anyone who could help me make a decision. I currently just obtained my PH.D in chemistry. I was offered a faculty position at St. James medical school (undergrad professor), not that a searched but they emailed me (I post my resume on the web). Also, I was offered numerous of teaching faculty positions at many well known university here in America and many research labatories. I never thougt about going to Saint James Medical school to teach but then I made a deal that I would teach only if I was paid and could attend their for free. Surprisely, I was offered to teach with pay and a full scholorship to attend their medical school. I need opinions!!! Do you think this is a good offered? Would you go? Saint James is a fairly new school. I do not know the reputation of this school. I have search but have not found too much info. Everything is about Ross and Saba.

Thanks

I don't know much about St. James medical school therefore I will not post information about this school. However, based on what you just posted, I have a few question which I would like to ask and hopefully you will find your answers in the answers to my questions.

(1.) Do you have a calling for medicine? What I mean by this is why do you want to become a physician?

(2.) Are there other US medical school teaching postions which offer the same deal? Can you make the same deal with another US medical School?

(3) Are you willing to travel and move around during the beginning stages of your career/education?

(4.) How will St. James deal with you not being able to teach during your 3rd and 4th year of medical school?

(5) Are you prepared to do more than one task at a time such as teaching and studying medicine at the same time?

(6) Are you willing to deal with stigmatism and perhaps not being able to practice medicine in every state (not to say that I know this for sure about St. James)?

(7.) How you will live with the decision not to go or to go (only you can make this decision and it will effect you for the rest of your life)?

The information you will recieve from this board and other boards like will be biased. The answer to your questions is within you and you just have to seek within yourself to arrive at a decision you can live with for the rest of your life. If I told you I would go because of this and that, would you go? If I told you don't go because this and that, would not go? What if I'm wrong? What if this is an opportunity you will never get again? So I turn the question back to you....What would you do?

Organized medicine in the us is in a phase of their next plateau of trying to STOP us citizens from entering practice in the country they were born in.

over the years multiple tactics have been used and often did not prevail in legal challenges. sgu, ross, and other universities know the game all too well as they have met with numerous courtroom battles over the years.

In theory there is nothing wrong with a school being "new" but without knowledge of what they will be up against in america and without legal retention they are shooting craps.

The other problem you may face is a state licensure board not liking the fact that you were working while studying medicine. They would not likely take exception with someone in a US school that had to work to make ends meet.

Can you perhaps teach at one of the big 3 and get tuition as a fringe benefit?

The key issue for you is to determine your main goal. Is it to have a career as a professor of chemistry at a university? or is it to become a physician? Is your desire to enter medical school based on a clear understanding of whats involved or does it just seem like a good deal?If you are not highly dedicated to being a physician the time,energy and effort needed to complete this task will become a tremendous burden,one you may come to regret.However if you really are motivated to enter medicine(I hope you have spent some time volunteering at hospitals and following around physicians or have other experiences in the medical world) you need to determine if St James is really the best place for you to train.As you say it is a relatively new school with not too much information available.You need to know if there are graduates who have completed the program,passed the boards and are now licensed in the US? are graduates eligible for licensure in all states if not why not and where can they practice.where are they doing residencies? How did they do on the boards?(its not just chemistry) where do they do clinical rotations? Even assuming you finish the program..(how long will it take you as you will have other responsibilities to take care of while studying medicine)your options from this school may be limited.You may be stuck with primary care residencies in out of the way locations or questionable hospitals.This is an issue for most caribbean grads but more of a problem for grads of new and little known schools.If you want to be a professr of chem in the US,taking this offer may do you more harm than good.Good luck with your decision.