Need Help! what could be the cause of edema in the left foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calcium15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do anyone know what is the cause of edema in the left foot? can this be cured? Could this be possibly due to inactivity? But why only the left foot and not the right foot. Please post if you can help.

Members don't see this ad.

do you have blood clotting problems? diabetes?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by predoc:
•CHF?•••••CHF would cause bilateral pedal edema. Based on what you have told me, which isn't very much, it is more likely due to an obstruction in the lymphatics or venous system of the left leg, which could be due to a number of things. It's probably just something as simple as you are sleeping in an odd position that cuts off circulation to your left foot, or you are not getting enough activity in your left foot. If it doesn't go away after a while, you would need to be medically evaluated.

GO to the hospital if that foot is painful, pulseless, paresthetic, paralyzed, pallorous, or is poikilothermic.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fourthyr:
•GO to the hospital if that foot is painful, pulseless, paresthetic, paralyzed, pallorous, or is poikilothermic.•••••Ahhh...the 6 "P's" of acute arterial insufficiency. Doubtful that is the process. I say: stick a Greenfield in 'em! :wink:

Maybe I can help. I'm a podiatrist and I've had patients like this.

I'd have to agree with some of the posters in that it is unlikely that it has a systemic etiology. Assuming there was no preceding trauma, it is more likely from unilateral lymph or venous obstruction. There could have been some occult trauma to the proximal aspect of the edema. The lymph nodes around the anterior thigh could also be obstructed. It could also be a DVT waiting to break out (better order a test if there is pain). If it were arterial occlusion there would likely be some intense pain to go along with it. Other zebras could be factor deficiencies that could lead to venous coagulation, thus venous obstruction. You need to rule out DVT because it can be very harmful.

thanks for all who have replied! I actually was more curious of some of the answers I get on this. I think as someone stated it could be due to inactivity or bad positioning of the left leg/foot.