Need help with a potential school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airquis91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Fam,

I am approaching the application process and i would like some guidance on a potential school list. I would rather not waste money on out of reach schools. I am sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post, but this is an absolute first for me. Thanks again in advance!

CGPA: 3.82
SGPA: 3.75
URM: Y, AA
Veteran: Y, 5 years United States Navy
EC: 2 years research chemistry-physics lab 2 posters ACS awardee, volunteer at a pediatric rehabilitation center for ~2 years
Shadowing: 200 hours internal medicine 50 hours emergency medicine 8 hours shadowing PA in Gastroenterology 40 hours Family Practice Physician
MCAT: Pending Summer 17' (Taking more courses)
Misc: Dream Location California, Residency: NC

Members don't see this ad.

Those are spectacular stats so far! Get at least a 510 on the MCAT and you have the pick of the litter of schools in CA. I'd also throw in Duke and UNC (because of where you eventually want to do residency), definitely state schools to be on the safe side (loosely safe).

Edit: 510 I would consider the minimum for CA, but others may have another opinion.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Being a URM and vet individually are highly desirable to med schools. So together that's even rarer and more desirable combo. With a 510 you would be able to get a scholarship to pay for med school and basically be able to get into any school provided you interview well. Even 508 puts you in a good spot. Obviously try to do the best you can and don't limit yourself but an acceptance is basically yours to lose. I would add some nonclinak volunteering in try to get 150 hours if you can, and you should be set! Even then with your military service it's not a deal breaker but if you have some extra time that would be a good use of it.

Also I would highly recommend posting in the what are my chances forum. There are some real experts there and people tend to not get into the whole URM flame wars and you get solid candid advice. Best of luck and thanks for your service! :)

Reactions: 1 user