Need help with applying timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I already have my B.S. degree and I am taking post-bacc classes. I would REALLY like to apply early this coming June. My problem is I still have not taken the DAT or Organic Chemistry 2. I am not feeling confident that I will be able to do well in Organic Chemistry 2 and the DAT before June (I struggled with Ochem 1). I am trying to figure out a game plan to be able to apply early. I also am looking to take Biochemistry and Microbio (retake) at some time next year. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say focus on organic chemistry and getting the fundamental aspects of your application together. I was very concerned about not taking the DAT by June, but it wasnt a problem-you just have to make sure when you take it you are fully prepared because you won't have time to take it again. I took my DAT in the beginning of August and app was complete by the end of the month. I was accepted to a number of schools of Dec 2.

Applying early is absolutely advantageous, but is also overstressed on sdn. Take it when you feel you are comfortable doing so, and just try to get everything submitted by late august. Also, don't stress about not knowing content before you begin studying. I knew nothing about organic or gen chem months before the DAT, and did fine after using chad's videos (which I highly recommend btw).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So when do I start actually studying for the DAT? Organic 1 took up a lot of my time so I am sure 2 will take up even more. I don't know how much studying for the DAT I will be able to get done in the Spring. Is studying June and July enough time? Would I be better off taking nothing this semester and solely focusing on the DAT (take it in June) and then take Organic 2 in the Fall, or would that be stupid?

When would Organic II end if you took it Spring semester? I think June and July is enough time to study if you feel strong in Biology!

Apply june. Send everything right away. Then take the DAT somewhere between late July and mid or late august. Theyll hold your app until scores come in. Youll have more than 2 months to study and get better at all your weak points. Sign up for late july, if a week before youre not ready reschedule it and give yourself 2-4 more weeks to prepare. When the schools finally receive your scores you wont be an early applicant but you also wont be a late one either. And imo taking the DAT a little later and doing well on it will help you more than scoring slightly lower and being in 1st or 2nd batch.

So taking Organic Chemistry 2 is really more important than taking the DAT before June?

Also, when should I take Microbiology? (I have a C+ in it but I know if I retake I can get an A) I thought it would be better to take it before I send my app in so it boosts my GPA and they see my new grade.

Apply june. Send everything right away. Then take the DAT somewhere between late July and mid or late august. Theyll hold your app until scores come in. Youll have more than 2 months to study and get better at all your weak points. Sign up for late july, if a week before youre not ready reschedule it and give yourself 2-4 more weeks to prepare. When the schools finally receive your scores you wont be an early applicant but you also wont be a late one either. And imo taking the DAT a little later and doing well on it will help you more than scoring slightly lower and being in 1st or 2nd batch.
This

Thanks guys, so if I do it that way my application is not late? I always thought it had to be 100% completed before it was looked at.

Would it be a bad idea to take Biochemistry (easy at my school) or microbiology in the Spring to increase my GPA? and then take Organic 2 after the DAT?

i dont think you need to take orgo 2 to take the DAT, i didnt and i just studied using chads videos. when i took the DAT my orgo score was the highest :)

So taking Organic Chemistry 2 is really more important than taking the DAT before June?
Im saying if you take the DAT during the summer when you dont have any classes you will do better on it.

Organic II is usually a prerequisite for biochem, if the course is offered through the department of chemistry.