Need help with lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been able to grasp most of physics except for this.

I simply do not get lenses and mirrors. There are so many "rules". My mind just gets bottled with all the diverging and converging stuff.

Is there an awesome tutorial about lenses that could help me?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you say that lenses won't be on the MCAT?

Don't get me wrong, I sort of agree with you since I haven't really seen many lens questions on AAMC practice exams

Don't get me wrong, I sort of agree with you since I haven't really seen many lens questions on AAMC practice exams

That's why. They want to test a broad range of principles. Lens passages don't generally test anything other than lenses, maybe light waves/wavelength properties but that's it. AAMC's haven't had many of the more difficult concepts: lenses, galvanic/electrolytic cells, or even too much NMR/IR stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am preparing for lens questions should they appear, but less than I am studying for other topics that I have seen on the AAMC's.

Members don't see this ad :)

I took AAMC 9 today and the last passage was light/lenses. Nothing tough though, just had to know fmirror = .5r, and direction of light leaving the 2 lens types (converge vs. diverge), very simple, unlike the last EK chapter that I'm using.

A virtual image will always be upright.
A real image will always be inverted.

A virtual image for lenses is on the same side as the object, and a real image is on the opposite side.

A virtual image for mirrors is on the opposite side, and a real image is on the same side.

Converging lenses and mirrors will always produce real images UNLESS the object distance is less than focal distance, then it will be a virtual image.

Diverging lenses and mirrors will always produce a virtual image.

Now. For the purposes of MCAT, object distance is always positive, and image distance is positive if it is real and negative if it's virtual.

am i rite guise?

concave-mirror.gif

convex-mirror.gif

- .Convex lenses are the same as concave mirrors .
.-.. Concave lenses are the same as convex mirrors .
- concave lenses cant form real images
- convex mirrors cant form real images.