Need help with PDA recommendation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachsaki101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not used a PDA and need to get one as soon as possible for my rotations. Please let me know which one I should get and what features I need to look for.

Thanks so much!

beachsaki101

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have not used a PDA and need to get one as soon as possible for my rotations. Please let me know which one I should get and what features I need to look for.

Thanks so much!

beachsaki101

Get a Palm wth Lexi-Complete. They've just added Harrison's to their package at no extra cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say Dell Axim x51v. 'Tis a beautiful machine....if you can find one.

+1. The 51v is the most powerful PDA on the market. Its awesome, runs great, and has a beautiful screen. Works great also as a personal media player (music and movies). They make the Lexi Suite for the PPC also (Dell Axims are PPC, unlike Palm based PDAs)

The Dells aren't made anymore, so I'd stay away from them. If you want a Windoze PDA then HP still makes one, but the Palm OS is easier to use and is not fat and bloated.

You can buy a combo package of PDA + software from Lexi. It also runs on a Blackberry now, which could be a good option for you.

The Dells aren't made anymore, so I'd stay away from them. If you want a Windoze PDA then HP still makes one, but the Palm OS is easier to use and is not fat and bloated.

You can buy a combo package of PDA + software from Lexi. It also runs on a Blackberry now, which could be a good option for you.

I was big time sold on the Dell's. I have had three. Dell has discontinued the Axim line. I think the direction of handheld devices is towards the all in one phone, MP3 player ect. Its a shame because the Dell Axim was and still is a sweet PDA for me. I have Lexi-Complete and could not imagine practicing without it. I will be a shame when it finally goes kaput.

I never did like the Palms. Not sure why but something Windows based seemd a better fit for me.

I got one of the HP Pocket PCs and I like it - but I didn't use it much. It was more like an expensive toy for me. The reason I got the model I have is because I prefer Windows-based interface, and it was a good deal, and it has WiFi & bluetooth, and my laptop is also HP. :) It also recognized my handwriting, without me having to learn the PDA-recognizable script (though I think all newer models do - my friend had a hand-me-down from her dad, and that didn't). I'd say three main things to consider would be the amount of memory (some programs used in pharmacy can only be downloaded onto internal memory, not on the memory card, and they can be quite large), WiFi capability, and how easy it is to interface with your computer.

The Palm OS takes up very little memory, so all of Lexi-Complete will run on it without having to purchase a memory card. I have an old Tungsten C with the built-in keyboard. I can type very quickly with my thumbs and don't have to fool with a stylus. It has Wi-Fi, but I don't bother with it. Lexi is all I need.

You can run Lexi on a Windows PPC without the need for an extra memory card. True Dell has stopped its making Axim products, but there is still plenty of support for them as well as a very active online community. The main reason I like PPC over Palms is the easy transition between windows mobile and xp/vista for documents and files, as well as the tons and tons of 3rd party programs available for PPC.

I'll admit, its been at least 3 years since I've used a Palm.