Need help with Physics!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a sophomore who plans to take first MCAT in January 2011 and I know I have more than a year to worry about but I am registering classes for spring semester next week and I'm wondering If I should take Physics 1 in spring, so I can take Physics 2 in fall so I'll be thoroughly prepare for Physical Science section on MCAT. However, I really want to take Physics 1 in next fall because this one great professor is teaching at that time.

So my question is, do I need take Physics classes to be well prepare for MCAT
or It is something I can study on my own and take Physics 1 and 2 next year?
I would have Physics 1 on my belt before I take MCAT in January 2011 but I'm not that good at Math and Physics

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if your not a natural at physics you are probably going to need the support and structure of a physics class to learn the material enough to do well on the MCAT PS section. Physics 2 is no joke, you have circuits, light and a bunch of other confusing topics. I took physics 2 the semester before the MCAT and still struggled with this section in my preparation.

Taking a course will definitely help you prepare, just make sure you're not solely relying on the class to have you ready. The MCAT is quite different from a college course, make sure you still do lots of studying thru prep material and take practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test in Sept w/o physics 2...ummmm....take it before you test!! I've always been a self taught kinda guy....Give me a book and I'll show up on test days and do just as well as if i didn't go to the lecture....BUT...and a big but...Physics 2 is a pain in the ***** to learn on your own. I struggled through it and am still looking at the material for my retake.( voided first attempt.) Its making sense now but i started studying back in May... Bottom line ...take the class and save yourself the headache of trying to figure out the stuff on your own..

However it is doable w/o it....

I took the test in Sept w/o physics 2...ummmm....take it before you test!! I've always been a self taught kinda guy....Give me a book and I'll show up on test days and do just as well as if i didn't go to the lecture....BUT...and a big but...Physics 2 is a pain in the ***** to learn on your own. I struggled through it and am still looking at the material for my retake.( voided first attempt.) Its making sense now but i started studying back in May... Bottom line ...take the class and save yourself the headache of trying to figure out the stuff on your own..

However it is doable w/o it....

case in point!! Take both!!! ;)

Thank you all for comments

I will definitely take Physics 1 and 2 before I take first MCAT.

When you take Phys 2, try to solve as many problems as you can without a calculator (the feasible problems). It's a tough class, but the topics are pretty much the coolest stuff ever, and definitely fair game for the MCAT. No need to take the calc-based version.

Phys 2 will make you better at Phys 1, because topics like conservation of energy are cyclical and show up over and over in different forms.

If your physics 2 is just E&M, consider taking Optics and Modern Physics (though not necessary, it will tie loose ends up).

Believe it or not, weird s#*! like neutrinos and muons have shown up before. Nothing to freak out about, but taking Phys 3 would be analogous to someone taking genetics and biochem for the BS section...not required, but doesn't hurt.

Believe it or not, weird s#*! like neutrinos and muons have shown up before. Nothing to freak out about, but taking Phys 3 would be analogous to someone taking genetics and biochem for the BS section...not required, but doesn't hurt.

I had a passage on muons on my MCAT. It wasn't hard, but it was weird stuff that I had never seen in my physics classes.

I agree with everyone that you need to take all the pre-req's before the MCAT, but are you on a really tight schedule? Take the professor you like and push the MCAT back. It's more important to understand what ur learning, and keep your grades up, then to cram your sched. You're only a sophomore!