need help with residency elective: any good trauma rotations out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetfynesse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am getting ready to start my second year of EM residency, I have to set up an elective, preferably trauma. I want a program where I can get alot of procedures, see some action, and still have time to enjoy the city, take in some drinks, etc. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have friends in just about any major US city, so housing isnt an issue.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sweetfynesse
As I am getting ready to start my second year of EM residency, I have to set up an elective, preferably trauma. I want a program where I can get alot of procedures, see some action, and still have time to enjoy the city, take in some drinks, etc. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have friends in just about any major US city, so housing isnt an issue.

Thanks

How about Univ of MD's Shock/Trauma? I know a LOT of other programs rotate there.

You could do a trauma rotation at our program, USF. You'd be with the surgery residents as an upper level resident and would take care of the SICU (trauma patients only) as well as respond to codes. Its all shift work (6a - 6p or 6p-6a), but only a few days off during the month. Nevermind, you won't get much time to enjoy the city.

Ignore my post.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
UF-Jax has had some residents from Mayo in Rochester rotating on the ED's Trauma Resusc shift....the ED resident of the day to take 12 hour shifts covering (simultaneously) the 5 trauma bays and the 4 med resusc beds...rotate days with the trauma service as airway or trauma boss, med resusc boss unless you defer because you're too busy, all the procedures you can handle. Alas, it's not Manhattan or Miami but there is the beach and some laid back places to hang out and good people who know their stuff because the volume is high and the acuity is there.

RA Cowley Shock trauma in Baltimore is supposed to be the best trauma experience in the country. I'd check that out.

Grant Medical Center in Columbus, OH is also great but not as well known--huge level 1 trauma cnter--tons of procedures for students, you'll function like a resident. Attendings give you freedom to do what you want. There's no residency affilitiation although a lot of ohio EM and surg programs send rotators through there. They do have a trauma fellow--you'll likely end up working with them.--it's worth a look.

Originally posted by anonymousEM
UF-Jax has had some residents from Mayo in Rochester rotating on the ED's Trauma Resusc shift....the ED resident of the day to take 12 hour shifts covering (simultaneously) the 5 trauma bays and the 4 med resusc beds...rotate days with the trauma service as airway or trauma boss, med resusc boss unless you defer because you're too busy, all the procedures you can handle. Alas, it's not Manhattan or Miami but there is the beach and some laid back places to hang out and good people who know their stuff because the volume is high and the acuity is there.

i actually did an em rotation as a med student there, and the trauma resusitations were so chaotic--too many people talking at once--just not well organized. it was great seeing the many traumas, but unless they've come up with a better protocol, i cant see rotating there.
i guess its just a product of where i went to med school. the traumas were run so smoothly, it was a beautiful scene to watch. everyone had a defined role, and only 1 or 2 people were allowed to speak---that way everything was efficient. i know its not the norm, but something along the lines of protocol driven would be great, too...

thanks for all of your help