Need help with summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

progressivepremed

Reaction score
I go to a school in a big urban area. My school doesn't have a ton of research but the institutions around it have plenty. Right now I am interested in Neurology, but also somewhat in ENT (I already have ENT publications but don't know how realistic matching will be) and gen surg.

For neurology, so far I have looked up about 70 nearby PI's who are doing research and I plan to send them an email soon but not sure if its too early. I definitely want to do research in the summer however, I am not opposed to starting midway through the spring semester as I feel like I have some time for it since I am doing well and don't feel terribly overwhelmed time wise.

The PI's I looked up seem to be active in research so I hope they can use the extra help. I believe that they all are attendings but I'm not really sure how to decipher if they are residents or not. I'm guessing not, since I got all the names from the main department website and not the resident website but idk. I know there are posts similar to this but I've been seeing conflicting information in terms of when to email and who to email so I thought I'd ask again.

My idea is that since I go to a school in a very competitive urban area its probably best to send the emails early and start a bit earlier just to get a slight advantage. I'm thinking either after thanksgiving, before new years after the semester, or right after new years. I'm also first going to send out my neurology emails and then see how that goes and then do ENT/gen surg.

My questions are:

1. When do you think is the best time for me to send the emails?
2. Do you think the names I found on the department websites are the appropriate people to contact?
3. For ENT and Gen Surg, do you think its better to look up the PD of programs I'm interested in and contact them? Or just do the same as neurology?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably start yesterday (meaning, GET ON IT!).

With holidays coming up and residency interviews ongoing, attention spans are limited. Some places may have filled research spots January 1.

Reactions: 1 user