Need help with surgery residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slugslum

Reaction score
M2 here and don't know squat. Please rank the following general surgery programs based on prestige. These are a few programs I'm looking into:

University of Virginia
Medstar Washington
Univ of Maryland
University of Kentucky
Henry Ford
Indiana University
University of Texas San Antonio
University of Rochester-NY
UPMC Harrisburg
University of Minnesota
NYU Mineola
St. Joe's Mercy Ann Arbor
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Buffalo
MedStar Baltimore
UM holy cross

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rhyme or reason to this list… you have large academic 7 yr programs on here and also small community programs.

1. Why are you trying to rank them by prestige?
2. Why these programs? How did you create this random list?
3. As an M2 I’m not sure any of this is a worthwhile endeavor.. just my honest opinion

Reactions: 2 users
yeah there is no rhyme or reason--it's just a chunk of random schools. i apologize, i'm not that good at providing context. i don't believe in prestige to be honest, and despise those who do, but i have a score to settle with an attending... and am trying to find a resource or better understanding of how these schools compare to each other academically but haven't been able to find one that seems reasonable. is doximity all there is?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah there is no rhyme or reason--it's just a chunk of random schools. i apologize, i'm not that good at providing context. i don't believe in prestige to be honest, and despise those who do, but i have a score to settle with an attending... and am trying to find a resource or better understanding of how these schools compare to each other academically but haven't been able to find one that seems reasonable. is doximity all there is?
Would recommend that you just let it be. Your opinion will differ from your attending or senior resident on many topics, and the prestige of a residency is not something to argue about, because what do you get out of it?

In any event, telling this attending "well I had 3 people respond to my random poll on SDN" is also a terrible way to settle anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Would recommend that you just let it be. Your opinion will differ from your attending or senior resident on many topics, and the prestige of a residency is not something to argue about, because what do you get out of it?

In any event, telling this attending "well I had 3 people respond to my random poll on SDN" is also a terrible way to settle anything.
Yeah I guess I'll just leave it but this guy's a grade A a$$#... he talks about how his wife got a 270 on step. Like dude, how are you still in medicine harassing subordinates.

Yeah I guess I'll just leave it but this guy's a grade A a$$#... he talks about how his wife got a 270 on step. Like dude, how are you still in medicine harassing subordinates.
Exactly. This won't be the last time people act like this, and it won't just be attending. Itll be senior residents, consultants, consulting services, colleagues, people junior to you... nursing, pharmacy, radiology, APPs... literally everyone. If you let it bother you, it'll burn you up. I would know. I used to let this stuff bother me. Actually, I sometimes slip and still let it get the better of me.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. This won't be the last time people act like this, and it won't just be attending. Itll be senior residents, consultants, consulting services, colleagues, people junior to you... nursing, pharmacy, radiology, APPs... literally everyone. If you let it bother you, it'll burn you up. I would know. I used to let this stuff bother me. Actually, I sometimes slip and still let it get the better of me.
Yeah, just gotta stay afloat and remember to be human and let the putdowns roll off

M2 here and don't know squat. Please rank the following general surgery programs based on prestige. These are a few programs I'm looking into:

University of Virginia
Medstar Washington
Univ of Maryland
University of Kentucky
Henry Ford
Indiana University
University of Texas San Antonio
University of Rochester-NY
UPMC Harrisburg
University of Minnesota
NYU Mineola
St. Joe's Mercy Ann Arbor
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Buffalo
MedStar Baltimore
UM holy cross

I'll take a stab at it. This is my opinion as an academic surgeon at one of these institutions on the list.

1.) Overall, I think from the research and prestige standpoint that Indiana University is the most prestigious on the list. They have a very well known chair (Karl Bilimoria), strong ancillary programs, and a very strong research reputation with a lot of top fellowships and of course The Regenstrief Institute.

2.) University of Minnesota - Another top 15 academic surgery institution and multiple top 5 fellowship programs (Transplant, Colorectal, Surgical Critical Care) and strong school of public health and surgical informatics research programs

3.) University of Virginia - Good history and blueridge ranking and the dean (Melina Kibbe) of the medical school is the editor of JAMA Surgery

4.) UT San Antonio and Univ of Rochester both are very prestigious and well known and do a lot of research / lead a lot of big grants

5.) MCW is prob number 5 in my opinion. They also recently recruited a very strong HSR researcher from Michigan (Amir Ghaferi)

6.) University of Maryland is very strong and academic if you are interested in Trauma and Critical Care, they are historically one of the top 5 Surgical Critical Care - Trauma focused programs

7.) Henry Ford and Univ of Illinois I'd say next

After these it seems there is a transition from academic surgical residency programs into more community based programs.