Need Help with USMLE step 3!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smohamma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to study for Step 3 -- it seems the review books out there are not as good as they were for step 1. I just want to know what some of you are using to study for this test ----
I looked through FA and it does not seem as amazing FA-step 1 ... I am thinking about using Kaplan MTB book...... any suggestions??? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you'll be doing the UW Qbank +/- CCS, MTB should be good enough.

Unless you're non-IM/FM and far from graduation, additional resources are not really needed. Besides, most questions are designed to test your judgement rather than depth.

Then again, I am still waiting on my score report so my input doesn't really have much validity just yet :D

I am actually not an IM resident and my residency didn't require an internship year so I am far removed from IM/FM.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am actually not an IM resident and my residency didn't require an internship year so I am far removed from IM/FM.

Any advice?

As an aside (and forgive my ignorance) but what residency does NOT require an intern year?

in response to your question, MTB or First Aid and Uworld. Surprisingly similar to my step 2 advice. Less evidence for this recommendation for Step 3, but I've heard from a decent sized cohort of residents that this combo works well (if all you want is passing). This is from a couple of Opthos (medicine interns) who took it in the first month of their intern year, several surgery residents in their third year, and a crap ton (like 10) of medicine residents. They all said it was overkill, but got them a passing score.