1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Need Help with USMLE step 3!!

Discussion in 'Step III' started by smohamma, Jul 29, 2011.

1. smohamma

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to study for Step 3 -- it seems the review books out there are not as good as they were for step 1. I just want to know what some of you are using to study for this test ----
    I looked through FA and it does not seem as amazing FA-step 1 ... I am thinking about using Kaplan MTB book...... any suggestions??? thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I actually really liked First Aid for Step 3. USMLEWorld was also good. I didn't use MTB.

4. Xtrasystolic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Assuming you'll be doing the UW Qbank +/- CCS, MTB should be good enough.

Unless you're non-IM/FM and far from graduation, additional resources are not really needed. Besides, most questions are designed to test your judgement rather than depth.

Then again, I am still waiting on my score report so my input doesn't really have much validity just yet :D

5. smohamma

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am actually not an IM resident and my residency didn't require an internship year so I am far removed from IM/FM.

Any advice?

6. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Same with me. See above advice.

7. OveractiveBrain

Removed 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As an aside (and forgive my ignorance) but what residency does NOT require an intern year?

in response to your question, MTB or First Aid and Uworld. Surprisingly similar to my step 2 advice. Less evidence for this recommendation for Step 3, but I've heard from a decent sized cohort of residents that this combo works well (if all you want is passing). This is from a couple of Opthos (medicine interns) who took it in the first month of their intern year, several surgery residents in their third year, and a crap ton (like 10) of medicine residents. They all said it was overkill, but got them a passing score.